How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2010, 01:43 PM

Default Could Not Allocate Space For Recording

Hi guys,

recently upgraded my system to MacBook Pro (first mac). Bought an external firewire800 hard drive (Seagate 500gb).

Formatted the hard drive in Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Jounaled). The format only took about a minute.

I can record to my system drive no problem, but obviously I want to record to my external Hard Drive. When I create a new session in the Firewire drive, I try to record and get the error message "Could Not Allocate Space For Recording".

When I look at the firewire drive, I see that PT has created the relevant session file along with all of the required folders. But I can't record to this drive.

Any suggestions?

I'm using;

OSX10.6.2
2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4Gb RAM
PT 8
MBox2 Mini
Seagate 500Gb, 7200rpm Firewire 800 Drive
Old 01-08-2010, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Could Not Allocate Space For Recording

Also,

just tried a little Seagate USB Drive which was last used to backup Pro Tools HD files on Windows XP.

Drive worked fine and would let me record.

Transfered some session folders to the firewire drive and it won't even let me open the sessions. Gives the error;

"Could not complete your request because DAE error -9126 was encountered."

Looks like a problem with the hard drive? Maybe the way I formatted it?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Thanks, Tony
Old 01-08-2010, 02:24 PM

And....found the problem.

Formatted the drive using Case Sensitive and just found out that I shouldn't have done that. Seems to be working now!!!

Just about to buy BFD. Any thoughts on this regarding compatibility/ability to work with my current setup?
Old 03-07-2010, 04:49 AM

Interestingly, I came upon this same error message (DAE error -9126) when I formatted a disk for backup (through Time Machine, on a Mac) as Case Sensitive, even tho I wasn't using it as the main disk to save the sessions on - once I had reformatted the disk, it worked fine - and, thanks for your help in solving this problem.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:53 PM

Man, I am glad I found this thread! I've been using Pro Tools for years with a PC and just bought my first Mac. I, too, originally formatted my trusty FireWire drive as "Case Sensitive, Journaled" and had the exact same problem. "Could not allocate space for recording." After finding this thread I reformatted my drive to plain, "Journaled" and all is a go. Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-28-2010, 08:14 AM

hi, i have the same problem and i reformatted my computer, "journaled" and go without problem. but the error message "DAE error -9126" still appears, dont know what else i can do. please if any of you know anything tell me.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:16 AM

Hi
I have a problem recording with Pro Tools 9. "Could not allocate space for recording" keeps showing up totally random as it seems. When I start Pro Tools in the morning I usually have a problem for about 15 minutes or so and then it suddenly finds space and everything is fine for a while. The error message shows up every now and then during the day. Any ideas what the problem might be?
I'm on a Mac Pro OS X 10.6.7 using Pro Tools 9 with a 003
Thanks
/J