Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Post-Production budget...NEED HELP!!!

Good day folks, I am planning a Post/Music studio for a friend of mine who does video production/editing...he doesn't know much about audio and as such has given me the task to plan and purchase the studio equipment and plan the layout of the studio (he owns a fairly large, unused warehouse space)...i have been operating a small studio for about 4 years now with pro tools le (i have worked in bigger rooms but not often) but the budget i was given will allow me to upgrade to HD plus a whole lot more...anyway i would like to post the list i have put together and possibly get feedback from the more experienced post engineers here...keep in mind this studio will also be used for regular music recording/production/mixing as well as post audio editing, soundtrack production, ADR, and foley (maybe)...We also want to do our own DVD authoring (in a separate room which would also double as the surround playback/consumer home theater room) he already has Final Cut Pro Studio which has DVD authoring software but i'm not sure how powerful it is...)

thank you in advance

and now the list (we are trying to start construction by July 2008)

Mac Pro: dual 2.66 hz core2duo / 4 gb ram / 2 x 20" lcd / 250 & 2 x 500 gb hd
Glyph GT 050Q 500GB HD
Digidesign C|24 bundle w/ appropriate DB25 cables
Sync i/o or Sync HD (what's the difference?)
JL Cooper Surround panner
2 x InFocus DLP IN24+ Projector w/ Atdec Universal Projector ceiling mount
ADS Pyro A/V link
Cables To Go 4-Output RCA Audio/Video Distribution Amplifier
Focusrite ISA 428
dual FMR RNLA in funklogic rack
Roland V-Synth GT
Roland V-Drums TD-20S
Novation Remote SL 61 midi keyboard
Akai MPD24 midi drumpads
BlueSky Pro Desk 5.1 (either wallmounted with omnimounts or soffit mounted)
Dynaudio BM15A (stereo)
Raxxess Deluxe 42" stands
Samson S.Phone
Alesis Microverb 4 (for headphone FX)
4 x ATH-d40 headphones
Shure KSM-141 Stereo Pair
2 x SM-57 w/ Tab Funkenwerk transformer mod
Blue Woodpecker
AKG C-414 B-XL II Stereo Pair
Rode NT4
Neyrinck DTS encoder/decoder
Neyrinck Dolby Digital encoder/decoder
Cycling '74 UpMix
Waves Surround Tools TDM
Waves API Collection TDM
Reel Tape Suite TDM
Antares AVOX/Auto-Tune bundle TDM
Antares Harmony Engine
Vocalign Pro
Roger Nichols Frequalizer
Sound Replacer
East West Symphonic Orchestra Platinum
East West Symphonic Choirs
East West RA
East West Storm Drum 1
HandHeld Sound Flying Hand Percussion
Native Instruments Komplete 5
DrumCore Deluxe 2.5
Sony Picture FX vol 1-10

not sure yet but maybe some dolby gear in order to encode Dolby E...

anyway...any thoughts?...advice?...
Old 12-31-2007, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Post-Production budget...NEED HELP!!!

Quote:
That will cost you about $12,000 US.
Quote:
You will need a SYNC|HD peripheral. You will also need a video ref generator. I don't know if broadcasts in Jamaica are PAL or NTSC, but whichever they are, that is the type of video ref generator you will need. You will also need a non-linear video playback solution. If you are going to do ADR work, you will want Avid Mojo, as the playback is always frame accurate with digitized or Avid media. You will want some lavalier microphones as well.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:12 AM

By July 2008 that mac and/or that PT hardware might be outdated (if rumours are true) plus all those plugs. Better not buy this gear 6 months before you actually need it.

better re-work the list when the time to use it comes closer. never buy Digi gear, computers or plugs long before you actually need it. 7 months is almost eternity in computer technology. You never now what "upgrade" you will have to buy a few months later before even having used it. But maybe that´s your plan anyway.

frank.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:
That will cost you about $12,000 US.
Quote:
You will need a SYNC|HD peripheral. You will also need a video ref generator. I don't know if broadcasts in Jamaica are PAL or NTSC, but whichever they are, that is the type of video ref generator you will need. You will also need a non-linear video playback solution. If you are going to do ADR work, you will want Avid Mojo, as the playback is always frame accurate with digitized or Avid media. You will want some lavalier microphones as well.
i know the dolby E stuff is expensive but my investor can swing it...as far as the video equipemt he has all that stuff already...that's his line of work...he actually has his own tetevision station in jamaica already so i assume he has all that he needs...as far as the sync HD what's the difference between that and the sync i/o?
Old 12-31-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
By July 2008 that mac and/or that PT hardware might be outdated (if rumours are true) plus all those plugs. Better not buy this gear 6 months before you actually need it.

better re-work the list when the time to use it comes closer. never buy Digi gear, computers or plugs long before you actually need it. You never now what "upgrade" you will have to buy a few months later before even having used it.

frank.
thanks...but i really wasn't gonna buy this stuff yet anyway...right now we're just in the planning stages...i'm staying in the US til June so i wasn't planning on making any purchases til i was closer to going home (about 5 months time)...

but what rumors are you speaking of concerning the C|24?...i figured given the long life of the control 24 the C|24 would be supported for at the very least the next 3 years...but then what do i know?

thanks for all the advice though, much appreciated
Old 12-31-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:

but what rumors are you speaking of concerning the C|24?...i figured given the long life of the control 24 the C|24 would be supported for at the very least the next 3 years...but then what do i know?

thanks for all the advice though, much appreciated
No speciffic rumors. Just the the usual one that HD hardware has been around for many years now and since Digi is mainly a hardware company and the native systems are constantly getting better I think Digi has to make a move sooner or later. They can´t rely on changing just colours and knobs on their new controllers for the next years.

No more speciffic rumor (does that even exist?) just a personal feeling.

frank.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
You will want some lavalier microphones as well.
are there specfic uses for lavaliers in a studio setting?...i know their uses in producing content especially for television and such but do they contribute anything when just doing in studio work? i'm just trying to learn...
Old 12-31-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:

No speciffic rumors. Just the the usual one that HD hardware has been around for many years now and since Digi is mainly a hardware company and the native systems are constantly getting better I think Digi has to make a move sooner or later. They can´t rely on changing just colours and knobs on their new controllers for the next years.

No more speciffic rumor (does that even exist?) just a personal feeling.

frank.
oh i see...yeah it has crossed my mind that the HD hardware has been around for years but i thought you were specifically talking about the new C|24...truth be told though i was never one to buy the latest and greatest...what works works...at the end of the day the workman is more responsble than his tools...that being said even if digi did upgrade their hardware in the next 6 months i'm sure it wouldn't invalidate the stuff they already have...but i will take everything under advisement
Old 12-31-2007, 10:11 AM

Well, seeing as your gear budget is going to pale compared to the construction budget, (which for a warehouse that will be big enough to do both music and post will run at least $750k to $1 million.), forget the C24 and get a D-command/D-Control. (the smaller of the 2. I always confuse them.
Also don't forget a large selection of Sfx libraries and a DNS2000.
Get a good boom and a lav for ADR and a U87 for VO.

I see alot of focus on music gear, not alot on post.
I don't know what your background is, but if it isn't post, then I suggest looking for someone to help get the business up to speed.

Also, unless the plans are already drawn, and construction started, don't plan on being open untill probably a year from now.

BTW, music and post in the same facility rarely are successful. Pick one of the 2, and go with it. I would suggest post. You will need a decent sized mix room for Professional post, and that will eat into your live room. Vice versa for music.

IMDB Credits
Old 12-31-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Well, seeing as your gear budget is going to pale compared to the construction budget, (which for a warehouse that will be big enough to do both music and post will run at least $750k to $1 million.), forget the C24 and get a D-command/D-Control. (the smaller of the 2. I always confuse them.
Also don't forget a large selection of Sfx libraries and a DNS2000.
Get a good boom and a lav for ADR and a U87 for VO.

I see alot of focus on music gear, not alot on post.
I don't know what your background is, but if it isn't post, then I suggest looking for someone to help get the business up to speed.

Also, unless the plans are already drawn, and construction started, don't plan on being open untill probably a year from now.

BTW, music and post in the same facility rarely are successful. Pick one of the 2, and go with it. I would suggest post. You will need a decent sized mix room for Professional post, and that will eat into your live room. Vice versa for music.
i hear you loud and clear...but the equipment budget won't support the D-Command (too expensive)...yeah there is more of a focus on music because that's my background...other than the DNS2000 and SFX libraries what else do you suggest that is more post-oriented? (within moderation of course)...i don't need a large live room for music because 75% of the music i do is electronic...we're not really concerend with the commercial success of the studio per se seeing as how this really is being built to support the video work that my investor does...it's really a private, in-house studio for his visual production company/TV station (and he's also interested in getting into music since he;s been doing alot of music videos, hence the dual role the studio needs to play)...i don't need a world-class facility just yet i just need something functional that gets the job done...i'm sure there are many professionals who constantly work in million-dollar rooms for years that may turn their noses up at my humble studio but the situation is what it is...we're both young (under 30) and we're not made of money...we have been fortunate in our connections (my partner/investor's father owns a cable/internet provider service in Kingston, which is what allows him to have his own TV station...it's not advanced by any means, but it IS, if you get my drift) especially since we both have family in construction (and construction costs in jamaica are relatively low)...we're both coming from fairly small set-ups that would be considered "project" or "home" by most standards but we have a vision and we're trying to work towards it as best we can (yuh have to crawl before you walk they say)...