Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2003, 11:56 AM

Default reel drums

Quote:
reeldrums are 24-bit, but costs lots more, something like 33 CD's worth)

Wave digital is ebaying for $349 + 20 s/h or buy now at $399
Old 11-07-2003, 12:12 PM

Default Re: reel drums

Hey, they have the one shots for much cheaper I noticed (be more like DKFH but at 24-bit).
Old 11-07-2003, 12:17 PM

I would like to know more about this as well. I want to create realistic drum tracks for my songs and really like the metal type drum sound. I was thinking of getting:

http://www.toontrack.com/index_samples.shtml

I'm not sure what type of software if any I need to do this with...sampler? sequencer?
Yes, I'm a new to recording and play guitar...just got my 002R not even two weeks ago.

Thanks guys!
Tom

Old 11-07-2003, 12:20 PM

incredible drum tone on these samples
http://www.reeldrums.com/home.html

Click sample clips up top..

If anyone here has tried these in Redrum or Battery let us know how they workin out for ya?, fit well in your mixes?
Old 11-07-2003, 12:25 PM

sequencer and sampler. PT is the sequencer but you need Barrtery or Dr-008 to load the samples. DFH 2 ( I think) has a builtin Kompakt style sampler by NI. Good choice. tHE BEAUTY OF reeldrums is that the loops are alredady made based on verse fills and chorus. So instead on slicing and dicing, you have an immediately workable drum patteren for a whole song. Then in shuffle mode, simply add verses or choruses or move whole regions aroun d. For a great and fast way to make realo sounding drum tracks, reeldrums is it. If you likme to program and cobble together little 2 bar loops and make enough variety so they don't sound artificial but need to adjust tempo a lot, DFH2 is a great solution. I like Reeldrums cos I load it in a PT session ( they are alreadty formatted for PT) hit play and I play along. It really helps me compose. A little adjusting and in minutes I have a complete drum track.

Search the DUC for Reeldrums and you will see lengthy descriptions of how it works ( usually posted by me )
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 11-07-2003, 12:37 PM

This good about the Loops, but how about the "One Shots" samples loaded in battery or Reasons Redrum sequencer?

Not very impressed with DKFH's Sonar kit, these reeldrums dont hurt my ears (from the sample clips I heard).

you see im tryin to save some bucks and want more flexibility than their loops.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:47 PM

never used the one shots cos I can't use battery yet ( RTAS ....). Judging from the sequences, to my 40 year old ears, they sound like real drums. What? sorry I can't hear you...What?

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 11-07-2003, 12:56 PM

Quote:
What? sorry I can't hear you...What?
huh? you say somethin? lol

Ok, I'm convinced... sounds like fun moving the loops around in the PT editor
Old 11-07-2003, 04:05 PM

Quote:
with Reeldrums, all drums are on different tracks. You get room mics in stereo to adjust ambience. The tracks are laid out for you with regions of several bars and aligned as verse, fill, chorus, verse etc. Each verse and chorus are different. So instead of goofing around with 2 bar loops and cobbling together a drum track, you already have a 3.5 minute drum track song. To modify, simply copy and paste or cut regions. In Shuffle edit mode, all regions snap back together where they belong. I have laid out killer drum grooves in less time than it took to type this post. Since they are audio files, on separate tracks, you can tweak them with EQ, Compression, reverb on a drum by drum basis. To make it easier, all Reeldrums "songs" are already in PT session file format. Just Import Session Data and everything appears where it belongs.

No I don't work for the company. I got the software and still can't believe how good my stuff sounds with real drums in no time. I've used midi loops and just don't have the time or patience to get them in the right sequence. The downside to audio loops is changing tempo. If you have very odd tempo songs, you need midi or Serato Time and Piotch or the new WAVES tempo changer ( big bucks)
Convince me now as well. I called GC, MF, all of them.. Seems like the only place to buy is from www.reeldrums.com
Old 11-07-2003, 04:16 PM

Hey if you're going to use my quotes, you have to mention copyright. Convincing is easy. Try the download. Its little but its good. If you are a musician and want to have a great drummer to play with, its Reeldrums. If you like to play with little clips and spend time arranging a chorus you don't need it. I let the PT reeldrum session go and start playing. Its better than a click and if you pick the right groove ( 23 choices) you just play much better because the whole song is ready. Tweaking is a breeze cos you can easily move regions which are not just 1 bar but a whole verse or chorus. Need 4 mor bars, grab the region, hold ctrl and place it where you want.