Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2002, 07:06 AM

Default Hmmm?

I'm a novice at the mixdown process. The DUC has assisted me in making progress. I have a question for some of you pro users.

In the insert audio tracks, what order should the plugins go in from top to bottom.... for example

Compressor-Eq-Gate- ect.....

And also on the Aux tracks If I wanted to use all FX on on Aux which order would they go in.... for example

Supertap2-Reverb-Chorus- ect.....

I'm sure there is an appropriate way to do this.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Hmmm?

There is not a universal answer for your questions. That is because all three can be used for different purposes, however, I usually compress first to "level things out" and then I Eq to dial in my tones. My Eq changes are very minut. If you are creating major amplitude changes with EQ, then I would suggest putting it before the compressor.
As for FX, this is really tricky. I am going to use your example to explain. First you have to understand what each plug in does and how it works. Then you must have an idea of what you want it to sound like. You also have to think about gain structure in relation to each plugin. Based on your example for FX, I would go with the Churus effect, and then I would send the chorused sound thru the delay and finally the reverb last because the reverb is usually so wet, you would have to crank the levels to really trigger the next effect and even after that, you may find the result to be unpleasant. But, again, this is all based on preference and the desired sound. Hope I have helped you in mixing ventures. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

2+2=5
Old 09-02-2002, 09:35 AM

as electrobank suggests, it's all very subjective.

i often eq prior to compressing a signal but almost as often, i'll do it the other way round. sometimes i'll have an eq on either side of the compressor and at others, i'll have (different) compression on either side of the eq.

if i eq before compression, it's usually because i want to compress the signal but the nature of the very signal i wish to treat is not being handled the way i would like by the compressor so i take out the pokey bits before it hits the compressor and sometimes i'll eq again after the compressor to emphasize the nice bits.

i guess the point of this rant is to say that you should experiment but always remember that less is more. i.e., always start work on the actual sound source before you reach for a patch lead...
Old 09-02-2002, 07:53 PM

Thank You guys That was very insightful and those answers were exactly what I was looking for. We need to have more threads like this on the DUC. We all would benefit from it....

If anyone else want to offer anything please do we all have a lot to learn from each other, some more than others.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:03 AM

Kick drum (rock music)
Expander-gate
4band eq
Compressor

Snare
4band
Compressor

Toms
Expander gate
4band
compressor

Cymbals
Hi pass

Drum submix
Compressor

Distortion Guitar
Hipass
Compressor

bass guitar
compressor

vocals
4band
compressor with gate

Master track
Compressor
Limiter

Voila
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com