Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2015, 04:29 AM

Default Re: To keep the 003R or trade it in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
Hey, no problem for me personally. Just wanted to bring in another option as nobody had
mentioned RME before and RME interfaces are working exceptionally well with Windows systems.

I mentioned the relatively high prices but it´s the overall quality you pay for with RME interfaces.
But again, no problem for me personally .

I myself already have got the stuff which works perfectly fine for me. Was just trying to help.

Cheers.
I appreciate your comments, I don't want you to take it the wrong way. I'm looking at the whole pictures though. No one Commented on the Preamp box though that I'm asking about with Remote Controlled pre-amps, with the link I've posted (http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/octamic_xtc.php) ? Since one of the things I'm looking for Is more than four preamps! And that can be controlled in Pro Tools!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
A racing car does not have a stereo, plush upholstered seats, electric windows or cupholders, but it delivers performance no street car can match. It also costs considerably more than most street cars.

A street car doesn't accelerate, brake, or corner like the race car, but it offers conveniences for day-to-day use the racing car lacks, and is more affordable.

One chooses based on what is best for the intended use. In an environment where things like monitoring, input processing and signal routing are handled by application-specific outboard devices optimized for their task, there's no need for that kind of stuff in an interface. In cases where space, cost, convenience and simplicity matter more than absolute performance, one may be better served by a more all-in-one interface.

More features doesn't necessarily mean "better" if it's at the expense of quality. High-end performance may not be better if it's at the expense of features the operator needs to get the job done. What's best for any particular application depends on the requirements of the task and the operator's preferences.
Understandable. But I also need more than Sound quality for the price. I have a Channel Strip and will get more so with that, adds a better sound (we all know Mics is the BIGGEST Difference in sound), Functionality, ETC. While RME looks ok, It's gotta have all the other features. I would like to know if I can remote control the preamp box In Pro Tools since EVERYONE just decided to pass up on that question/post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post

I did see this though!

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/octamic_xtc.php

Now the Remote Controllable Mic Pre's caught my eye. The question is, is it controllable through Pro Tool?

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 09-13-2015, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Since one of the things I'm looking for Is more than four preamps!
Ah ok, I see.

Quote:
And that can be controlled in Pro Tools!
As for the controllable preamps in Pro Tools you may find some info about it
there as they seem to talk about it too (page 2 in particular).
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/prod...se-preamp.html
Old 09-13-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:

[...] I would like to know if I can remote control the preamp box In Pro Tools since EVERYONE just decided to pass up on that question/post?
I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't respond to that specific question because I don't know the answer. What would you like me to say?

Why don't you contact RME and ask them?
Old 09-14-2015, 02:43 PM

I'm going to go Devil's advocate on this(just because nobody else did). Assuming you are okay with firewire(if not, then ignore this post), you could net a sonic upgrade by leaving the 003r in place and adding some digital preamp(which will bypass all the 003 analog circuitry). Some options, depending on your budget would be the API A2D(2 channels of API 312 and premium converters) and the Midas XL48(8 channels of "real" Midas preamps** via lightpipe). I must add that I compared drums thru the Midas and my Vintech's and the Midas won. So now, all my drum(shell) mics are on the Midas and the hat and overheads are on a Focusrite ISA428. Just food for thought(and I agree that Avid/Digi hardware has the benefit of a more seamless integration)

** as opposed to the Behringer ADA8200 with the "Midas designed" preamps

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-15-2015, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
Ah ok, I see.

As for the controllable preamps in Pro Tools you may find some info about it
there as they seem to talk about it too (page 2 in particular).
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/prod...se-preamp.html
AWESOME! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't respond to that specific question because I don't know the answer. What would you like me to say?

Why don't you contact RME and ask them?
I may have to do that if I can't find a clear answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I'm going to go Devil's advocate on this(just because nobody else did). Assuming you are okay with firewire(if not, then ignore this post), you could net a sonic upgrade by leaving the 003r in place and adding some digital preamp(which will bypass all the 003 analog circuitry). Some options, depending on your budget would be the API A2D(2 channels of API 312 and premium converters) and the Midas XL48(8 channels of "real" Midas preamps** via lightpipe). I must add that I compared drums thru the Midas and my Vintech's and the Midas won. So now, all my drum(shell) mics are on the Midas and the hat and overheads are on a Focusrite ISA428. Just food for thought(and I agree that Avid/Digi hardware has the benefit of a more seamless integration)

** as opposed to the Behringer ADA8200 with the "Midas designed" preamps
I don't mind FireWire, but I'm going to look for the best interface. I really don't want to do USB2. Too much latency.

The Preamps may be a good idea. I'll probably still change out the 003, simply because I feel like I'm starting to outgrow some of the stuff. And especially If I have to take it out mobile for a reason. Just preparing for stuff.

As for the Avid Hardware with more seamless integration, yes it is a hard decision for me. But I'll pull the trigger next year if I'm ready! Maybe Avid will come out with something by then!

Old 09-15-2015, 11:10 AM

FWIW, As much as I miss the controller functions of the 003, my move to HDN has been really great Having said that, if you use lots of UA plugins, the Apollo should be tops on your list. I like the plugins plenty, but the latency makes them useless for tracking(but the Apollo solves that)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-15-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
FWIW, As much as I miss the controller functions of the 003, my move to HDN has been really great Having said that, if you use lots of UA plugins, the Apollo should be tops on your list. I like the plugins plenty, but the latency makes them useless for tracking(but the Apollo solves that)
I wish I could afford the HD stuff right now! Man I can see my dream setup of the Avid S6, with some HD I/O's and some Avid Pre's to control everything like I'm on an analog board! But I guess I have to buy that lotto ticket this week again to see if I can make that happen .I have the UAD Quad on the map right now, but not the interface.

I got an email back from MOTU, and you can control the Pre's from their app, but not Pro Tools!

Focusrite hasn't gotten back to me yet.

I am trying to spend no more really than $2000, $3000 at most. Since I'm also looking to get the Avid Artist Control, It's really nice to have everything act more like a analog console. To control the Pre's directly from Pro Tools is becoming an alluring feature for me now, since I can save from bending down to the rack and turning the pre on the rack. Also functionality like inputs would be nice. So far, I like the Presonus Studio 192 with the DigiMax DP88 option the best so far.

Hopefully, we'll see something before NAMM from more companies and from Avid especially!