Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2015, 03:59 PM

Default link to the original sound rushes when editing in Media Composer

I am both recordist and sound designer on a project and I sent sound rushes to an editor a couple of months ago and now, after syncing etc., he has sent the first AAF back to me. I was assuming I would be able to link to my original sound rushes but he is telling me that MC creates an MXF containing the audio files and that now all links are to copies of those rushes wrapped in that MXF. So when I import his AAF it is impossible to link to the original rushes. Furthermore, the filenames of the clips in Protools bear no relation to the rushes names so I can't imagine how I can go looking for alternate takes etc.

Am I wrong to assume it is possible to link to the original sound rushes?

I am fairly new to using Protools for Sound Design (although I have used it a lot for music) so it may be that I am missing some feature that makes this all much easier - Could someone enlighten me?

I guess I can just get the editor to send me all the MXFs and work from them but it just seems klunky.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2015, 07:19 PM

Default Re: link to the original sound rushes when editing in Media Composer

what you want is very common but there are a lot of editors that don't know how to do it
I don't know MC well enough guide you on directions

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-24-2015, 01:07 AM

Default Re: link to the original sound rushes when editing in Media Composer

Have a look at "Filed recorder guide track" options in pro tools.

That's how you do it.