How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2014, 04:42 AM

Default Save Copy in - crashes

Hi,

I am on PT11, Mavericks. I must clean my 90min-session so I want to do a copy-in on my external harddrive. that's not working. either its a WD or a Samsung or anything else, after 20min of working, PT11 crashes. There is no help-file or text what happend. On the harddisk I find a folder with around 20 to 25 GB (the original session is 56GB, videofile is just 2gb) and a strange file "sdfcZWMFcrvhHTBX", no file-extension, OSX says its a PT-Session file.

- the harddrives are ok (checked with harddrive manager). and right now I finished copying the whole session.

What's wrong? Any ideas or links?
Old 12-02-2014, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Save Copy in - crashs

Try doing it to the same drive, then you can just drag and drop afterwards?

At least one variable will have been removed.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Save Copy in - crashes

Create new session, import the session you're working on and then try a save copy as. (another thing to try.)
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:42 PM

Hi,

can't copy on the same drive, SSD is on limit
And I am too scared to import the whole big session with tons of data in a new session with all plugins and routings etc.
I work today in the mixing theatre, there I'll try their MacPro. Its PT11 on MountainLion.

Can't understand that PT behavior.

Cheers
Joh
Old 12-04-2014, 02:56 AM

If I'm not mistaking, this can happen when the copy folder path is too long, combined with a very long file name in the clip list. Try saving it to the root folder of the backup drive.
Or it could be some illegal character like "/"
Old 12-05-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Hannes View Post
Hi,

can't copy on the same drive, SSD is on limit
And I am too scared to import the whole big session with tons of data in a new session with all plugins and routings etc.
I work today in the mixing theatre, there I'll try their MacPro. Its PT11 on MountainLion.

Can't understand that PT behavior.

Cheers
Joh

when you say SSD is on limit... you mean its just about full? is so how much room remains.

It is possible that save copy in needs room for some temporary files to facilitate the save.

If at all possible make more room (preferably permanently) on the ssd to start.

which may be why it will work on another machine, if it did on the one you were going to try it on.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:42 PM

Of course, there was no time at the mixing stage for copy-session-in... I am so glad that there was only on PT crash while mixing. But read my experiences now at the finishing process, please:

My copy-in setting is:
- 24Bit without changing audio data
- shorter names (english roman)
- only main playlist
- only selected tracks
- no video

I did what you guys told me to try:
- shortest folder path, no special characters
- more empty space on internal SSD => same issue (ERROR, PT11 crashes, leaving a 25GB folder without a session file)
- creating a new session, import selected tracks => big big error: PT generates more and more data, session grew up till my SSD is full (> 80GB) - this is a serious problem/big bug!

or:
- creating a new session, import selected tracks => audio files gets restored until task manager says "Unknown Error" - nothing else, no further description. feels like pointing around in the air

I checked the release notes for the 11.2.2 update - but nothing special to risk my running feature film

What the hell is this software doing?
Where can I find a email-support or contact form for the technical stuff?
Old 12-08-2014, 01:55 PM

This can be caused by a corrupt session, can be a corrupt plugin, with possibly no other signs.

Trashing prefs might be worth trying. If that does not work then do you have older archives/backups of the session? I'd also try opening a copy of the session on a different computer, try doing a save as of that even if all the plugins and IO is wrong, you just want to see if it can be opened/save as works at all. If not then you know you have worse problems...

I hope you did that new session creation test with a totally empty session, not creating from a template, not a copy of any other session. And I hopefully you also tried trashing prefs first.

Rule #1 of debugging issues is always suspect plugins... so you should temporarily move all third party plugin files out of the Pro Tools plugin folder and try again to create a new empty session. That will give a clue if the bug is in a plugin or in Pro Tools itself. If it does not happen to bare Pro Tools then you can put the plugin files back in batches to try to track down which one is the problem.

Avid support is contactable if you purchase an ASC or if you have a support subscription. Details on their (European) Avid Web site.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:59 PM

Just to throw it out there... you could import everything into a destination session without copying anything, and then use the project window to copy all the audio into the new directory. Might be worth a shot.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:03 PM

Sorry I realize the terminology has changed in PT11. By Project window, I mean a new workspace and then click on the session in the lefthand tab. Then click into audio files folder. Select all (or sections at a time) and re-link with copy.