Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2009, 03:56 PM

Default Mbox 2 Micro and ASIO Driver

Hi there,

I'm about to head off to India to oversee the sound mix of a film. I primarily work in Cubase but want to have the backup of ProTools LE in case we have any compatibility issues that aren't covered by OMF export/import.

With this in mind I was considering purchasing the Mbox 2 Micro:
http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardwa...upgrade--46797

For it to be a really worthwhile purchase I was hoping that I could utilise it as a handy mobile soundcard for other audio applications such as Reason and Cubase. Something which it sounds like the Digidesign ASIO driver will allow.

I just wanted to double check if someone can confirm this for me before I go purchasing the sound card as the following page:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...37&nStartAt=11

states support for the following hardware:

# Pro Tools|HD audio interfaces
# Digi 002
# Digi 002 Rack
# Mbox 2 Pro
# Mbox 2
# Mbox

but doesn't mention the Mbox 2 Micro, but this page:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...&categoryid=35

does include it in the list.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Alex
Old 11-04-2009, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Mbox 2 Micro and ASIO Driver

That sounds like all the reassurance I need :)

Thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 03:03 AM

That's cool. I agree with you, it would be quite strange, and the only reason I asked was just it not being listed on the first ASIO driver link I posted above. I assume that's just an accidental omission.

I'm going to go ahead and order it today :)
Old 11-04-2009, 03:35 AM

Hmm, an interesting suggestion.

I had liked the Micro cause I might be using this when mid-travelling, but at the same time it could be more useful to have something like the Mini..

Hmm. Now I'm confused.

I'm really just buying Mbox to have the option of using Pro Tools if there's a disaster with OMF export/import. It's like a backup plan. However the Mini is only about 9 euro more than the Micro (which seems quite mad).

My desktop setup is currently using an RME Fireface UC. However I plan to sell that as I've realised I never, ever use it to its full potential and it's really a waste.

My initial plan was to sell it and buy a Native Instrument's Audio Kontrol:
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...ol-1/?page=385

which would double as my live set sound card. The Mini is actually about the same size as the Audio Kontrol but AK has 4 o/p.

Hmmm. No purchase can be straightforward

Definitely the Mini would be a little bulky to take out on a plane. I think I'm going to be doing some swings and roundabouts on this decision over the next while!
Old 11-04-2009, 05:26 AM

:)

It's all good. I don't think I can make a purchase without looking at every single possible option and in the process confusing the hell out of myself - it's only standard!

mbox2 mini: 44mm x 152mm x 127mm

So it's not too big by any means, but certainly a lot larger/heavier than a wee USB stick.

Hmm, I'm still fluctuating on my choice here...
Old 11-05-2009, 06:54 AM

Ok. I've thought long and hard about it and I'm going to go with the Mini :)

Thanks Benoni for your thoughts on all of this (and for suggesting the mini in the first place!)
Old 11-05-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexleonard View Post
Ok. I've thought long and hard about it and I'm going to go with the Mini :)

Thanks Benoni for your thoughts on all of this (and for suggesting the mini in the first place!)
Well, I think that was a good choice since the Micro has no input. You might be able to use the ASIO to run your other applications but only with projects that are already on disc.

The Micro is really only good for people who already have an LE or TDM system and need to work on their projects while travelling. You can't track with it except using MIDI. Of course if that was your intention, it would work fine but for the price, a Mini is better value IMHO.
1 x 1TB System Drive
1 x 320Gig Seagate HDD
1 x 500Gig Seagate HDD
UAD-2 Solo
Steinberg UR44
KRK RP5
Windows 10 Pro. 64 bit
Sonar Platinum
Cubase 8
Sony Acid Pro 7
Sampletank 2 XL
EZDrummer
Guitar Rig 5
ProTools 12.3

All legit software thank you very much.

Yes I have a low post count but only because I don't have a lot of problems with my gear.