Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2004, 05:16 AM

Default Severe Latency with outboard gear

I am posting this in a separate thread because it is really a different question to the other recent thread on midi-related problems in PTLE.

Basically, I have a 002R setup (with PTLE 6.1.2) and I have a controller keyboard (Oxygen 8) going to an outboard patchbay. The patchbay then connects to the "Midi In" of the 002. The other hardware connected to the patchbay is an Akai sampler & a Novation Supernova. I have this setup in order to use some of the modulation controls on the hardware in order to record this via the patchbay into ProTools. I used to have the same setup when I used a Digi 001 (and it worked).

Within Protools, when I play any of the virtual instruments there is no noticeable latency either in recording, auditioning or playback.
When I play the outboard gear, there is no noticeable latency in auditioning or recording. HOWEVER, during playback of the midi file generated for any of the outboard gear, there is a massive lag.

Is there a setting that can compensate for this (or is indeed causing this!!). I have never had this problem with the same gear or setup when I had a Digi 001. My new setup (including a new Powerbook) should be, in fact, more powerful, but the performance is actually worse than before.

Can someone suggest the troubleshooting to be performed or a fix?

NOTE: This is not a problem of 'offsetting' Midi tracks etc. I am talking about a really looooooooong latency issue.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2004, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Severe Latency with outboard gear

Where is the MIDI out of the 002 going?
Old 10-01-2004, 04:02 AM

Out to each of the individual unit's "Midi In". The individual units then have their Out connected to the Patchbay, in order to record their modulation etc. (as midi input) when needed.

I also tried a setup with the midi's from the 002 back into the patchbay and then out to the instruments (a bit long-winded, but just to compare).

Same problem.

I can't understand why there is no latency when recording or auditioning (i.e. playing the sounds directly off tehe outboard gear) but massive latency when playing back the midi file in ProTools.

Bizarre......
Old 10-01-2004, 08:39 PM

Sounds like the Digi Midi driver is a little off. If your daisy chaining any midi you'll get delay which you effectively are doing by going out the Oxygen into the patchbay, out the patchbay to the digi in, out the digi to the akai and novation ,then out the akai and novation back into the ins on the patchbay.
I have all my synths/sampler directly connected to the patchbay, out to in, in to out for all MIDI modules. I dont use the DIGI midi at all any more. The Oxygen would be set to local off and ProTools to midi thru on with midi in and out connected to the keyboard from the patchbay. Not sure if this will work for your controller recording you wanting to do, I guess it would depend if you recording the controller info as the pre-recorded midi track is playing back or if your doing it all in real time. Ive had no issues with this setup with my MOTU MTPAV USB.