Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-06-2010, 12:21 PM

Default Changing the sample rate for the "Digidesign CoreAudio Manager"

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with the sample rate with ProTools.
I have the a ProTools 9 HD2 on a Mac OSX 10.6.
What I want to do is to use WaveBurner from Logic Studio 8. This needs the CoreAudio Manager to be set at 44.1 kHz to work.

For a while I could live with the workaround, see thread: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=284363 . I used a PT9 44.1 kHz project to change the clock speed, and it switched to the proper speed and stuck there as it should.

But since this week, when I start the CoreAudio Manager it switches to 48 kHz, even though I changed the preference in Audio-Midi-Setup to 44.1.
The only change was a OSX update, no software update or any intentional change was made in the meantime.

- So what is the proper way to switch the clock setting?
- I can't select any other sample rate in the CoreAudio Managers HW Setup, they are all greyed out. Is this intentional?
- When I change the speed in the AudioMidiSetup, nothing happens. How can I apply my new settings?
- Is there a file which has the 48kHz setting for the CoreAudioManager and does it help to dump that one and have it recreated?

Thanks for any hint leading towards a solution...

Best regards, mcJack

The complete Setup: ProTools HD2 9.0, 2x192 I/O, MacPro 2x2,26 QuadCore, OSX 10.6.5, 12GB RAM, Command8, WaveBurner 1.5.2 (from Logic Studio Pro 8)
Old 12-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Avid

Default Re: Changing the sample rate for the "Digidesign CoreAudio Manager"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcJack View Post
Hi all,

I'm having trouble with the sample rate with ProTools.
I have the a ProTools 9 HD2 on a Mac OSX 10.6.
What I want to do is to use WaveBurner from Logic Studio 8. This needs the CoreAudio Manager to be set at 44.1 kHz to work.

For a while I could live with the workaround, see thread: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=284363 . I used a PT9 44.1 kHz project to change the clock speed, and it switched to the proper speed and stuck there as it should.

But since this week, when I start the CoreAudio Manager it switches to 48 kHz, even though I changed the preference in Audio-Midi-Setup to 44.1.
The only change was a OSX update, no software update or any intentional change was made in the meantime.

- So what is the proper way to switch the clock setting?
- I can't select any other sample rate in the CoreAudio Managers HW Setup, they are all greyed out. Is this intentional?
- When I change the speed in the AudioMidiSetup, nothing happens. How can I apply my new settings?
- Is there a file which has the 48kHz setting for the CoreAudioManager and does it help to dump that one and have it recreated?

Thanks for any hint leading towards a solution...

Best regards, mcJack

The complete Setup: ProTools HD2 9.0, 2x192 I/O, MacPro 2x2,26 QuadCore, OSX 10.6.5, 12GB RAM, Command8, WaveBurner 1.5.2 (from Logic Studio Pro 8)
Do you have any other apps open when you launch Core Audio Manager?

Typically the best way to change the sample rate or buffer size is to launch CAM, then launch the app you want to use - typically you would change the buffer or SR in it's hardware setup. In Waveburner, go to Preferences>Audio and make sure the Digi Core Audio is selected. You should then be able to change the SR or buffer size in CAM.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Do you have any other apps open when you launch Core Audio Manager?
No, especially none that connects to CAM.

Quote:
Typically the best way to change the sample rate or buffer size is to launch CAM, then launch the app you want to use - typically you would change the buffer or SR in it's hardware setup.
That's what I thought too, but as I wrote before all options except of the selected 48 kHz are greyed out.

Quote:
In Waveburner, go to Preferences>Audio and make sure the Digi Core Audio is selected. You should then be able to change the SR or buffer size in CAM.
Yes I checked that. And that the setting has effect I can also see, because when I didn't start the CAM before, it is started when I press the play button in WaveBurner. Unfortunately the CAM switches the sample rate to 48 kHz exactly in that moment, when it isn't already.

What can make the CAM think that waveburner needs 48 kHz? I don't see any switch in the WB preferences...
Old 12-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Avid

Can you try trashing preferences, including the specific Core Audio preferences, per the info in the General Troubleshooting thread?
Old 12-07-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Can you try trashing preferences, including the specific Core Audio preferences, per the info in the General Troubleshooting thread?
Thanks, the files mentioned in the General Troubleshooting thread didn't help (there wasn't a HD specific, right?), but that led me to com.digidesign.CoreAudioManager.plist.
Seems like only when this file is recreated the setting is read from the Audio-Midi-Setup (AMS).
How can I change this setting without trashing the whole file? I won't use a Hex-Editor as this file is binary coded.
Is it a bug or a missing feature in the CAM?
Or is there simply a deadlock between AMS writing the setting and the CAM reading an not being allowed to change it afterwards?

But thanks for your help so far, at least I am now able to achieve another clock speed
Old 12-07-2010, 07:08 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcJack View Post
Thanks, the files mentioned in the General Troubleshooting thread didn't help (there wasn't a HD specific, right?), but that led me to com.digidesign.CoreAudioManager.plist.
Seems like only when this file is recreated the setting is read from the Audio-Midi-Setup (AMS).
How can I change this setting without trashing the whole file? I won't use a Hex-Editor as this file is binary coded.
Is it a bug or a missing feature in the CAM?
Or is there simply a deadlock between AMS writing the setting and the CAM reading an not being allowed to change it afterwards?

But thanks for your help so far, at least I am now able to achieve another clock speed
You should trash that file so it can be rebuilt when CAM launches. There's no way to edit it directly.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:53 AM

Ok, thank you.
Maybe in 9.1 the CAM synchronizes this with the AMS selected value ;-)