Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 06-09-2009, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Bugs out the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
Uhmm... Isn't/wasn't that the logic behind HD? (where they are having even larger issues at many times the price we paid in Nativeland)

Doesn't seem to be workng for them there either.
No, I mean literally a box (with the computer "inside"). Like RADAR. Just connect it to a monitor/mouse/keyboard but it's Pro Tools and automatically updates itself via online with features/enhancements etc. provided only by Digidesign.

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:20 AM

LOL... Gotta love beating a dead horse.

Here is the deal Facher. If you're here to complain about a bug with PT8, thats top notch. Its only right we bring this stuff to Digi's attention. When you post something like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by facher83 View Post
So, point and clicking in the score window... you can drag to the right to extend a note's written length... however, at some point, accidentally moving the mouse up (or something), hard crash, Pro Tools 8 window goes *poof* into thin air.
Its all good. We need to get Digi to fix bugs. And its ok to be a bit pissed about something like that.

Now when you post something like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by facher83 View Post
After spending $600 on hardware and software I can't begin to believe how unstable and how easily Pro Tools 8 corrupts itself to the point it won't start up.
I don't know, it's great to use for a few hours, but if it's working great, and you try and close it, it hangs, and the next time you start it up it says "Must reboot computer" to start again...? And what do you do when you restart, try and run it?
Of course it hangs on the plugin loads.
This has to be the only piece of software I know where I can only run ONCE before uninstalling and re-installing EVERY time I use it.
What a lousy job of coding - even if I get told solutions, why should I have to jimmy-rig everything left and right to use $600 worth of software?
Windows at least tell sme what's wrong most of the time, and it doesn't cost $600.
It make you look real silly, cause if you are really having this level of trouble, YOU are not doing something right. I'm running Windows on a PC with ProTools 8 MP, just like you. I work for up to 18 hours straight, tracking and/or mixing, without problem. I load a TON of plugins both PT and not for mixing, and I never have any problems. I save and close, reopen something else, work some more, save again, close, reopen something else, for hours at a time and never have a problem. The problems you are/were having are because you didn't do what you were suppose to. It's that simple man.

Post the Score Editor bug on its own thread with proper title. Lets see if Digi can reproduce it. Then maybe add it to the list. Maybe it got taken care of in the new cs3 update. See if installing that helps you issue.
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 06-10-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nod25 View Post
No, I mean literally a box (with the computer "inside"). Like RADAR. Just connect it to a monitor/mouse/keyboard but it's Pro Tools and automatically updates itself via online with features/enhancements etc. provided only by Digidesign.
I'd be on page with this too, although when I got this PC Audio Labs, I really feel like this is just what I got. This thing has been flawless right out of the box (except for a noisy fan ).

I do think it would be kewl if Digi made a computer that was set up for ProTools. I'm sure lots of the HD guys would have no intrest, but us consumer end users would be stoked about something like that. It would be great if you could scrap even running on OS and just have it boot up ProTools. But then again, I don't know anything about software programing so maybe its harder then it sounds. Im sure Digi has their hands full with lots of other stuff though. But we can always wish, right?
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 06-10-2009, 03:33 AM

I've had the issues you described in every build of Win7 past build 7000. Very strange. Back on XP now, see how it holds up.
I used to have to trash my prefs before every start of the program or it would get stuck on the last plug in each time

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 06-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Avid

fascher - I'm not sure if you're trying to get help or just air out your grievances, but if you do want help, you should follow the instructions given by TOM@METRO on the first page of this thread.

I'm not sure why jojo99 seems to think that a Sandra report isn't necessary, but I can assure you it is - along with an installed plug-in version list and everything else that we ask for in the Help Us Help You thread.

Obviously there is a configuration issue with your system, as the problems and crashes you're describing are not in any way 'normal' behavior for Pro Tools. Once we have all the necessary info we can look at things you could do to stabilize your system.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:45 PM

Well, ok. I'm just saying I personally won't install that app. There's just no need. I just know how to manage systems. Incorrect reporting, versions galore, enough to cause issues, iffy benchmarking results abound. I repair systems and I've never needed a sandra report to do so. Whether it's tech help via email or having the sys in-shop.
But,maybe it is useful for you.

Gotta be honest though, it's few and far between when I've seen a resolve on msg board via a "sandra report" The majority of tech posts I've checked out here, nothing was really resolved via the sandra report...it usually fell off the radar, or was resolved by the user another route (mainly how it usually is resolved, right? - other users experiences and suggestions).
it looked like the sandra report demands were moreso causing a lot of time wasted (teaching the user to find,download, run, enter the data..blah-blah) rather than being a quick path to relief. Usually it being user error, OS setup issue, hardware incompat, or OS feature incompat (adding now: PT8 with IE8) - few of which sandra will report anyways.

I also know the history of PT with windows, and the chances of many of the errors people are seeing are likely stemming from what has been rather consistent - growing pains with each new incarnation of PT (coding).
Which again, like other companies, is something digi tries it's best to alleviate in cs/patches.

But, who knows? Maybe a report will resolve this one.

Digitech, I wonder if you could enlighten myself and all the users here on digi's testing scenarios. Is there a full test team in place? if so, on what scale does it operate would you say?
Old 06-10-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha]-[acksaw View Post
I do think it would be kewl if Digi made a computer that was set up for ProTools. I'm sure lots of the HD guys would have no intrest, but us consumer end users would be stoked about something like that.
It would mean one thing—flawless operation. Flawless operation = peace of mind.

Quote:
It would be great if you could scrap even running on OS and just have it boot up ProTools. But then again, I don't know anything about software programing so maybe its harder then it sounds.
Actually, that would make it easier.

Quote:
Im sure Digi has their hands full with lots of other stuff though. But we can always wish, right?
Yes we can.

Digidesign has been touted as only really being interested in selling hardware, right? This is hardware. It could also be optimized from factory. It doesn't have to be expensive—it justs need to be bullet-proof. Once a system like this was rolled-out imagine the resources that Digi could free up! and consumers could work in confidence. Is this not a win-win?

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 06-10-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I'd be on page with this too, although when I got this PC Audio Labs, I really feel like this is just what I got. This thing has been flawless right out of the box (except for a noisy fan ).

I do think it would be kewl if Digi made a computer that was set up for ProTools. I'm sure lots of the HD guys would have no intrest, but us consumer end users would be stoked about something like that. It would be great if you could scrap even running on OS and just have it boot up ProTools. But then again, I don't know anything about software programing so maybe its harder then it sounds. Im sure Digi has their hands full with lots of other stuff though. But we can always wish, right?
Well I've been thinking about just this situation in response to various murmurs...and I think you have it backwards...the digi-standalone box would be the highend offering, not for the lowend. The lowend will continue to be hosted on a general purpose OS. The standalone box would probably be an outgrowth of VENUE, which I understand runs a stripped down Windows that you can't actually get to.

If they let you get to it, so you could install Reason or izotope RX or something else, all of a sudden you lose the absolute stability guarantee and you're just running on what was qualified hardware. This would defeat the purpose, non? But otoh in most cases you need ad-hoc software integration in practice, so you would want to be able to install 3rd party stuff directly onto the OS and use OS-level file management etc.

I don't think it works. I think having a bunch of qualified machines listed on the website is as far as I'd go with that. The Mac situation is very healthy and of course I recommend Macs for pro audio. If you insist on using Windows yes you are going to have to be very good at debugging your configuration.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
I'm not sure why jojo99 seems to think that a Sandra report isn't necessary, but I can assure you it is
So, I have downloaded this Sandra thingie, from SiSoftware, but in running the report generates a novel that hangs my system, OR, there are a billion in a half options to go through... I mean, it looks like I can list everything about my computer down to each line of machine code.

Everything seems to work OK now... other than a "skips" or "statics" when something visual happens on screen - or moving to a different window, etc... Yet, CPU load is at 8% max, and 80% free on RAM.

Deleted all the plugins, DB prefs and folders off of all HD's except two (ones that aren't used much)...
Old 06-11-2009, 01:14 AM

facher, one thing...what motherboard do you have? People have asked here and you can't list this? Come on, like they're saying...help them help you at least. If you're really having issues after spending the $...I would think it a no brainer to list ALL the system part #'s and model/brand names of your hardware. Or if you don't know I guess there's where the sandra report would fit in (you should know though).

Which would then lead to this Q: Can you tell us what chipset (motherboard chipset) driver you installed (full name and vers.)?

* The chipset drivers(s), if called for, is to be installed upon successful installation of your OS.