Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-18-2019, 03:35 PM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtrino View Post
*** From Avid's official announcement:

"For those of you that are currently on Perpetual Licenses, the increase ranges from 0-33% on new licenses depending on the product and type of license"

*** From Avid's official "Pro Tools - Summary of Pricing Changes":

PT SW Perpetual Renewal --- Current Price: $99 --- New Price: $199

Seriously?

So customers who committed to Pro Tools by purchasing a perpetual license are the most penalized with this change?

And the excuse is because the "industry" is moving to a subscription model?

Actually, before moving to a subscription model, technology companies need to transition their software development model, PM, processes, release management, etc. to an agile methodology that supports such a subscription model. This leads to more frequent software updates/upgrades releases, which provides customers adequate and fair value against their recurring payments.

In the last year, the frequency of Pro Tools updates does not indicate Avid made that transition yet (at least not successfully) - Case in point, the almost one year delay before PT got Mojave support - And yet, we kept on paying our software update fees hoping that eventually they'll get there.

But now, they go on and double the price of software updates for perpetual licenses, and only for the standard/vanilla version.

Yet, there's no information in that announcement regarding what Avid did to improve their software development framework nor their release schedules, so if last year is any indication it's pretty certain next year won't be any better. Except that now we'll pay twice the price! Nice.

The message is loud and clear.
You do realize that even at $199 your COST PER DAY to use Pro Tools is LESS THAN $.55? That's 55 CENTS. Think about that. Seriously.

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 06-18-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
yes. If avid crashes and burns tomorrow i can sit on my current versions until the industry figures it out. Thats how I will always operate. Same with iloks always online thing. I asked them if I sign up for the service what happens if they go out of business? No response. OK so I wont buy that service then.
Unfortunately this may be one of the old Harvard Business "Gut the struggling company for a much cash as possible and run" scenarios. We'll see.

AFAIK there are actually very few companies making bank by going the subscription route(primarily cloud storage, anti-virus software and Microsoft Windows selling to corporations). Every one else may not be making much more than if they just sold the licenses.

Perhaps the board has bought into some "consultant" pied pipers marketing spiel that they don't really get, wherein said Piper has spun up a bunch of fantasy numbers that got them salivating like Pavlov's dogs. The point is they aren't end users, they are corp rats, they are trying to sell to other corp rats and IMHO they are doomed damned and deep on "the spectrum". Remember the consultant knows best because they are paid to!
Old 06-18-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post
You do realize that even at $199 your COST PER DAY to use Pro Tools is LESS THAN $.55? That's 55 CENTS. Think about that. Seriously.
And if i dont pay for support my cost is $0.00 and i still have my working system thank you. Think about that
Old 06-18-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
And if i dont pay for support my cost is $0.00 and i still have my working system thank you. Think about that
And it appears from your "sig" you haven't taken advantage of any PT update since 18.7 so why are you even bothering with paying for support right now?

www.LightWingStudios.com

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 06-18-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
You are all over the web spreading that ridiculous argument.

Congratulations! You made it my dear! You won the AAK medal of honours!
It's only ridiculous to folks who don't "run the numbers".

www.LightWingStudios.com

Old 06-18-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I bought Cubase Pro with the xgrade option for 166 euros, Logic new license costs about 200. Think about that
Old 06-18-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Rent-a-center markets the same damn way.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
I bought Cubase Pro with the xgrade option for 166 euros, Logic new license costs about 200. Think about that

Following his train of thought....it is just €0.22 per hour for only a month, to get Cubase and €0.26 per hour for only a month, to get Logic!
Think about that too!

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
OK...I did.

So what you're saying is that at $199 Pro Tools is competitively priced against Cubase Pro Xgrade at $186 and Logic at about $224.

Thank you.

www.LightWingStudios.com

If the other daw companies are paying attention, they will put their products on sale today, and get the word out.