Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 11-30-2015, 06:23 PM

Default Synth sound design guys. Making this sine wave pluck.

Not sure if this is the right forum for it but I know there are tons of sound design guys on the DUC so I figured I could probably find some tips towards making this pluck.

First off I know the sound design is generally simple, Sine maybe smooth square wave, pluck envelope, reverb, delay. But I seem to be missing something.

I cant quite get the nice blend of the percussiveness with the softness of the pluck.

Any tips on how you would go about making this?

Its the soft organ type pluck playing chords in the following songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFJgDNkhGKM plays at 10 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYoPOJCeJvU plays at 50 seconds

Again not sure if the DUC is the place to be asking this but thanks for any help regardless.

Last edited by DBK; 11-30-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Synth sound design guys. Making this sine wave pluck.

The second sound (50 sec) is a classic riser, sample libraries like Loopmasters offer an expansive collection of wav or aiff files designed just for risers.

The first sound sounds like a layered two tone percussive hit that can pitch with a long decay. If you have a drum machine you want the first transient with the fast envelope attack to be your first layer (tone) and then you need a second sound with a longish envelope decay to be triggered at the same time with a slower attack, this is your second layer (tone). If this doesn't make sense, search Loopmasters for a sound that is close to want you want.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
The second sound (50 sec) is a classic riser, sample libraries like Loopmasters offer an expansive collection of wav or aiff files designed just for risers.

The first sound sounds like a layered two tone percussive hit that can pitch with a long decay. If you have a drum machine you want the first transient with the fast envelope attack to be your first layer (tone) and then you need a second sound with a longish envelope decay to be triggered at the same time with a slower attack, this is your second layer (tone). If this doesn't make sense, search Loopmasters for a sound that is close to want you want.
Was just ballparking it at 50 seconds to a spot where I knew the pluck was playing. I was talking about the same pluck in both songs not the riser. Just giving multiple examples. Ill give your second paragraph advice a shot though thanks. And yes it makes sense. Didnt even think to try making it like that. Opened up a whole different page of ideas I can try now.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:38 AM

You could probably create this quite easily with Xpand!

Old 12-01-2015, 09:59 AM

If you use Xpand, choose "Pretty Mallet" from the Mallets list for voice 1 and select "Poly Sine" from the "Basics" menu for voice 2. Play with the filter, attack and release for the mallet until its just the hit, and then have a slightly softer attack for the sine. Play with the Osc 2 volume as well. Then adjust the over all with the Smart Knobs on "Easy". Filter, envelope, etc. Env Depth will make a huge difference here. You'll come pretty darn close to what you heard on the first vid. The second is slightly different, more filter and env depth might bring it close too. Add reverb/delay to taste. Good luck!

Old 12-01-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
If you use Xpand, choose "Pretty Mallet" from the Mallets list for voice 1 and select "Poly Sine" from the "Basics" menu for voice 2. Play with the filter, attack and release for the mallet until its just the hit, and then have a slightly softer attack for the sine. Play with the Osc 2 volume as well. Then adjust the over all with the Smart Knobs on "Easy". Filter, envelope, etc. Env Depth will make a huge difference here. You'll come pretty darn close to what you heard on the first vid. The second is slightly different, more filter and env depth might bring it close too. Add reverb/delay to taste. Good luck!
Thanks!