Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Will Pro tools LE import...

Hey -

A couple of years ago, my band and I went into a studio and did a demo with pro tools TDM. We only did four songs. Now, we have our own rig with PT 7 and a 002R. We are now thinking of finishing the demo into a full album. I called the studio and they said they can give me the session on a data DVD. I am wondering if I can import the session into my rig and remix it with my stuff so the whole album has consistency (instead of four of the songs sounding completely different). Any thoughts on the subject?

Thanks in advance,
Tuf
Old 02-28-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Will Pro tools LE import...

No reason why you shouldn't be able to import/open the sessions. Any TDM plugs will be gone and you have to watch track count if you were doing big sessions, other than that it should be fine. Depending on how old the sessions are you may need to do some playing around to get everything imported-I've had problems opening old sessions, but eventually got them in.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:45 AM

Pro Tools HD and LE are compatable I have worked on HD stuff in my studio and taken LE stuff to a HD studio. If it was a long time ago, it may be a bit slow on the import as it converts the session to V 7.3 LE.

If the session was more than 32 tracks it may be a small problem, but you can buy 12 more tracks for LE, if it went above that, I am not sure what you can do.

As someone mentioned earlier any TDM plugins will not be in the edit window, they will be greyed out, so you will need to replace them with RTAS plugs.

I hope you have a good time playing with your old session.

Dave
Old 03-01-2007, 05:12 AM

Even if you have more than 32 (or 48) tracks, you can import them all to a new session. The tracks above your track-limit (32or48) will be set as "VOICE OFF" and grayed out. You can for example bounce drum-tracks to a new stereo track and put the original tracks as "VOICE OFF", then you will have some free voices to do edits to other tracks. Before the final mixing, you can adjust the individual levels (and pans etc) of the "Voice Off" drum tracks according to need by freeing their voices again and doing the bounce again. This can be very time-consuming with lots of tracks, and if you still have more needed tracks than voices at mixdown, you'll have to do the final mix in a HD.
The Beatles had a couple of 4-tracks, the majority of records made until this decade had 24, so more than 48 tracks in a song is quite plenty...
To answer your question, yes it can.