How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2014, 05:27 PM

Default Pro Tools too complicated

Hello there!
My interest in the world of audio processing has grown out of my wish to record my music. My problem is, I am 100% inexperienced in everything related to music recording, editing, equalizing etc.
Avid to record my stuff, I bought an Avid Fast Track Duo interface. As I unpacked the product, I found a Pro Tools Express software ready to be activated and downloaded. I immediately proceeded to download it on my Mac OS X.
For the last few days, I've been trying to get started with Pro Tools, only to find out that it has been designed for audio engineers, not a dumb like me. I've been watching a lot of youtube tutorials on Pro Tools, and I keep reading everything I can find about the subject. Waste of time. It's way too difficult for me.
I'm giving up on the Pro Tools and am now looking for a much simpler and lighter software, equipped with a very simple recording and equalizing system - something that could just enable me to use my Fast Track Duo, no matter how much quality will be sacrificed.
Can you guys be so kind as to recommend a software that fits this description?
Thanks a lot.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools too complicated

WElcome to the world of audio recording. It's going to be a journey with plenty of hours spent frustrated and NOT make music. JUst try to think about what it was like when you first started learning you're musical instrument of choice. It takes time, dedication and patience. The cheapest option for you would be to use Garage Band which is on you Mac already. That will have a learning curve as well. Trying to just walk into recording and not expect it to be a challenge is very unrealistic.

Pro Tools express should work for you, but failing that there are plenty of other options. A great deal of clients I work with are plagued with this same issue. For them, Ableton and Sonar seem to be a little easier to grasp. Both those pieces of software will also require some configuration and understanding of your hardware. If all you want to do is record and EQ , ZOOM makes some handheld recorders that will do exactly that...NO computer required.

Good luck and I know others will chime in as well. Stay strong, you won't be disappointed if you take the time to learn Pro Tools...there are plenty of reasons that it is the industry standard.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 02-06-2014, 06:49 PM

+1. Hung onto analog WAY too long. Pro Tools was my first DAW. Granted I was a bit of a computer geek wannabe I spent a lot of time researching YouTube, reading the DUC (this forum), and asking a lot of direction from anyone who would answer! I learned more than I thought I ever would and it's made me better all around. Give PT Express a shot. You will not be disappointed.
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:42 PM

Thank you guys for the encouragement, I really apreciate it.
My lack of familiarity with this new universe of sound recording is so vast that I didn't even know that GarageBand is equipped with a recording device. Thanks dr_daw for bringing this little fact to my attention...
Well, I tried the GarageBand recording resources, and guess what: the recording was apparently succesful, but... no sound is heard when I try to play back what has been recorded. The same thing happened when I was trying to work with Pro Tools Express.
This leads me to think that my real problem lies not in the softwares (PT or GarageBand), but in the audio interface (Fast Track Duo). Something is wrong with it.
I'm quite sure that I'm facing an extremely elementary problem, which would be very easy to tackle if I was a little bit more experienced. Everything seems to be working well (the computer, the guitar, the interface, the software). All LEDs are blinking properly, everything is being done according to the tutorials and manuals, but... I just can't hear anything when I try to playback what has been recorded.
Again, thanks a lot guys, for your kindness and patience.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:34 PM

Make sure that the fast track is the sound interface that your computer sees to play back your OS sound and other programs. I'm not sure where it is on a mac anymore, but I'm sure others will be able to tell you.

IN pro tools, go under the settings menu, playback engine, and make sure that it's the fast track duo that is listed on the top pull down menu.

Wave-T.com
Old 02-07-2014, 06:48 AM

Slow track,

Emcha's advice should get you pointed in the right direction. You should be able to use the fast track as your system sound device. To do that you should be able to go to the setting icon in OSX and change it to be your Fast track. There should be an input tab and output tab at the top, check both of them and select your interface. Then test it with iTunes or something that plays back audio. What are you using to listen? Headphones? speakers?

I'm not too familiar with garage band, but once you are able to hear sound from other programs on your computer; the recording software should also work. As long as you have the fast track selected as the audio interface. Good luck and keep on pushing, you'll get it.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 02-07-2014, 06:59 AM

You can do it man! We are pulling for you😊
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 02-07-2014, 07:36 AM

You nailed it, Emcha! The problem was about wrong computer setting after all. It's working now! I feel I can get started with Pro Tools at last. As I suspected, this was quite an elementary problem that I just couldn't afford to get fixed on my own. Thank you all again for being so helpful. Keep up the good work, and the friendly atmosphere.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:43 AM

Hey, this is my first post :)

I don't know if I can give any advise better than the other users but I will share my experience to give you some ventilation and a shoulder :)

This happened to me too and I think everyone had it in the beginning. I started on FL Studio whose workflow is entirely different from any industry standard DAW but very easy. The first thing we want is some noise and FL studio does make you happy and you leave your first session with an impression of 'a-ha, I can do something'. But there is a learning curve to every DAW. Slowly, my needs became higher in terms of some advance functions, I started looking into other DAWs. The first one I demo-ed was Cubase and all frustration started from there. Its an amazing software but coming from easiest FL piano roll, I found it really frustrating to manage Cubase piano roll though it was miles ahead of FL studio. My workflow and composing abilities halted and more time was spending into dealing technicalities. Though Cubase was wonderfully fit for my needs but it was not for me. Then I came across a cross breed, Studio One. For some reasons, specially mixing wise, I had to throw away this software too and went back to FL studio. Getting more experience with other DAWs, now I was like a power user, but again mixing and recording wise it was not enough for me. My brother always used to recommend me Pro Tools and he had it on his PC but I kinda ...ok, someday! One day I sat on his PC with him and mixed one of my pieces in PT. That was a turning point. Although, there is a big gap in editing midi as compared to Cubase, but all basics are there which is what I need + top mixing and easy set up.

Moral of this story revolves around two points,
- It will frustrate you, depress you and whatever other psychiatric terminologies you can use, but on the other hands you will be gaining much experience dealing with the technical as well as all other related issues.
- Keep in mind that in the beginning, there will be a learning curve. PT will initially 'take' from you, but then 'give' you once you are equipped.

So, don't give up. PT is industry standard. And when talking about standards, there are 'standards' and not short cuts. After a month of constant struggle, you will feel easy to a greater extent depending how much time you are spending. So worry not! End of moral :)

Stay tuned!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emid View Post
- It will frustrate you, depress you and
... obsess you. Yes, I see your point...