Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2019, 01:42 AM

Default What Performing Rights Organization do you like, and why?

Well, the title is self-explanatory. I have another thread going about a specific issue, but I am deciding on which PRO to join, after not belonging to either for some time. So there is so much hype and shouting about ASCAP this and BMI that, I thought I would see what some of you all think and what your experiences have been with either or both ASCAP and BMI [or SESAC, for that matter, although I don't think it is an option for me.

I was with ASCAP for awhile. I always liked the idea that they were a society of composers, but they did something weird at some point and I cancelled my membership. I'm still open to either, its just that I didn't really see a lot of use for them for awhile with what I was doing. But I need to belong to one again now, it seems.

I"m in the USA. Another weird idea I heard on the web is to join the Canadian PRO and let them collect from ASCAP and BMI for me, or something like that. The guy who promoted the idea just hated both ASCAP and BMI for whatever reasons, and he said it was more profitable to join SOCAN and let them get the US money. I dunno.

But anyhow, I would like to hear about what PRO[s] you like and why.

Thanks.

Best,

mightyduck
Old 12-21-2019, 07:49 PM

Default Re: What Performing Rights Organization do you like, and why?

O.K., I will admit that I had no idea that this thread would take off like this. The interest is overwhelming. So at the risk of disturbing all the momentum,I think I’ll change the question to: "What PRO do you not utterly despise and why?" : )

Best,

mightyduck

Last edited by mightyduck; 12-24-2019 at 01:27 AM.