Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2010, 03:43 PM

Default Import session data causing crash in 8.1

As title states, I'm getting a sudden crash every time I try to import session data in PT 8.1. I was having this problem right from the get-go, and I did a big re-install of my plugs and trashed prefs, repaired permissions etc. multiple times. Seemed like it was finally working when I successfully imported data into my first mix session, but now the problem has returned. I can't import session data without PT crashing... rendering it totally useless at the moment.
I'm totally at a loss after spending all afternoon troubleshooting this.
Is anyone else having this problem? Any ideas?
Old 08-19-2010, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Import session data causing crash in 8.1

Hi,

I've had this problem too. It may be related to the changes in the I/O setups. I suspect once everything is on a new 8.1 i/o playing field everything will sort itself out.

I managed to get around it by doing the following:

1. Create a completely new session
2. Import the Session data from the session that contains the settings that you want to import. I imported all the tracks as they can be deleted later. Make sure you de-select import Audio files/regions. ie You want everything except the audio files/regions
3. Import the Audio Data/regions from the session you want you to apply the settings to. This time, you want to only import the audio files - no settings. Make sure you import any other tracks that aren't matched up to what you already have there. Everything here should be selected to a destination or it should be New Track

You don't need to import the audio data, you should be able to reference it. Then it will all come up, save the session and close it. I copy it to the original folder and then re-open it to see that it has correctly re-linked all the audio files. Then you can continue editing.

I haven't seem to have run into the problem once I am working with the current 8.1 session file and it's new i/o setup.

hopefully that helps
Ghengis
HD2 PCI, 96 I/O, Command-8
Win7x64
Old 08-19-2010, 07:30 PM

Am curious about this too. I've now heard from at least one other person who is having the same problem.

As a test I imported stuff from about 5 different old sessions to see if I could get it to crash, but importing from 5.1, 6.x and 7.x and some other 8.0x sessions, never gave me a crash.

But sounds like this is a legit bug, hearing it from more and more people...
Old 08-19-2010, 09:09 PM

thanks for the input so far.. yes, it does seem to be related to the i/o setup. When I was trying to figure this out, the only time it worked was when I recreated the I/O setup from scratch in each session and then merged the two. It also seems that it only crashes when importing AUX tracks and not audio tracks.
Unfortunately it's just unrealistic at the moment to be going through each session I'm working on and reorganizing the i/o for each.
I've got Leopard 10.5 and PT 8.04 on another drive and I'll just keep working my current sessions on that for now, and maybe try 8.1 on new projects.
Hopefully it gets worked out soon, I was loving HEAT.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:01 PM

Hmm, I'm pretty positive some of the old sessions I was importing had aux tracks. I use them constantly as 'separator' tracks, although they could very well have been 'inactive'.

I'm wondering if this could somehow be linked to something else too, I can't reproduce it here so far. I guess I should just knock on wood and be grateful.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Just posted an update a few minutes ago that sounds like it addresses the issue you are describing:

Pro Tools HD 8.1cs1 Update for Mac OS X

Also for Windows:
Pro Tools HD 8.1cs1 Update for Windows