Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-03-2009, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Windows 7(Something to think about?)

Microsoft should have a Amnesty program also.

They should helpout all of us Vista losers. I got it with a new computer, but I should still be compensated for the headaches and pain vista has cost me.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Banned

Lightbulb Re: Windows 7(Something to think about?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielou View Post
Microsoft should have a Amnesty program also.

They should helpout all of us Vista losers. I got it with a new computer, but I should still be compensated for the headaches and pain vista has cost me.
AH HA!!! That's the next all important answer. How will they price the OS? With Microsoft still controlling about 80% of the market you would think they would feel comfortable lowering the price tag.

Lets compare: Newegg Prices

Leopard: 10.5.4

Vista: Ultimate SP1
Old 01-03-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe24 View Post
AH HA!!! That's the next all important answer. How will they price the OS? With Microsoft still controlling about 80% of the market you would think they would feel comfortable lowering the price tag.

I hope they release 1 version only this time.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-03-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe24 View Post

Nice comparison. Im sure win 7 will be about 400 US or something. lol.
Microsoft has to increase the price so that they will have enough money to fund another department from failure. The Xbox department has been doing pretty good for MS. Maybe they should just put win 7 in a xbox and call it the new family PC.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Banned

I personally believe that if Windows 7 is retailed anything past 180$ they will see plenty youtube videos saying they just dont get it.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:46 PM

I'm not particularity taking the Microsoft side here but MS is not making the profit Apple is making by bundling the machine with the hardware in the first place. Subtract the price of a comparable Windows notebook and add that to OSX's retail price....Whats that version of OSX retail for now

MS's software business model is not supported by hardware sales and as good as OSX is Apple is primarily a hardware company. For the most part MS's software development is paid for up front and recovered later by software sales. Apples software delopement model is funded by hardware sales. I would be willing to bet that actual retail sales of boxed versions of OSX also amount to squat in the big picture of software revenue and contribute very little to the OS development cost. Two very different business models and two different pricing structures.

Just pointing out that OSX is great deal more expensive then it would look at first. Your also not going to take the 109.00 OS and install it (legally or easily) on anything other than Apple hardware.

If your building a new system yourself (or even just purchasing hardware) you are entitled to use the OEM versions of Windows and these run around 139.00 or so.

Having said that MS could drop their retail prices a bit and greatly simplify the pricing structure.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-03-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielou View Post
Maybe they should just put win 7 in a xbox and call it the new family PC.
Its called cloud computing and folks like you Aunt Millie are going to love it.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-03-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I'm not particularity taking the Microsoft side here but MS is not making the profit Apple is making by bundling the machine with the hardware in the first place. Subtract the price of a comparable Windows notebook and add that to OSX's retail price....Whats that version of OSX retail for now

MS's software business model is not supported by hardware sales and as good as OSX is Apple is primarily a hardware company. For the most part MS's software development is paid for up front and recovered later by software sales. Apples software delopement model is funded by hardware sales. I would be willing to bet that actual retail sales of boxed versions of OSX also amount to squat in the big picture of software revenue and contribute very little to the OS development cost. Two very different business models and two different pricing structures.

Just pointing out that OSX is great deal more expensive then it would look at first. Your also not going to take the 109.00 OS and install it (legally or easily) on anything other than Apple hardware.

If your building a new system yourself (or even just purchasing hardware) you are entitled to use the OEM versions of Windows and these run around 139.00 or so.

Having said that MS could drop their retail prices a bit and greatly simplify the pricing structure.
well said

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 01-03-2009, 11:30 PM

I'm downloading the 30 day trial of 7 (beta) right now and I'm going to put Pro Tools 7.4 on a "crash drive" if you will... Just to see what happens. I know its a one and a Billion chance that it'll work but I'm up for experimenting. I'll let ya know what happens.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:37 AM

As far as I know Windows 7 is not a public Beta as of yet and is only available to official Beta testers.
I know that it will be available soon when RC1 is released or RC2 is released pending on the stability of RC1 but any of the software out there as of yet is not for public release.