Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2018, 06:47 PM

Default Pro Tools 2018 slows down instantly and gets worse

I haven't been on this in years and the site has changed so Im not sure if im posting in the right spot. Anyway lately my ProTools 2018 has been slowing down after running it and it keeps getting worse the longer I run it. This happens no matter what I'm doing. Even when I use my musical keyboard to play something or move my mouse, the display either lags heavily or stops and even crashes the program. I have used both the latest version of the software and the one before it (12.8.3). I also tend to get the error AAE 9173 from time to time. I have done a clean reinstall of Pro Tools and the problem still persists. Even turning off plugins does not seem to make the slowdown any better. The processor usage stays consistent and whenever I run Task Manager, the processor use stays at around 20% and the RAM usage is around 15%.

I'm running on Win 10 64 bit,
my soundcard is Delta1010,
my GPU is NVIDIA K2200,
and my processor is an E5430 Xeon Processor at 2.66GHz (running two processors, each being quad core).

I should add that my computer itself does not slow down at all, it is just the program. I'm assuming it's a memory leak but I have no idea what to do if it is and trying to make sure its not something else.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2018 slows down instantly and gets worse

Not seen this one. My rig is similar to yours but with Win 7 and dual 5355 Xeons. Did this problem suddenly start with PT2018, or was it present in 12.8.3? I'll ask the obvious questions. Are all your drivers and plugins up to date? Are you using a separate drive to record to, either an SSD or a 7200rpm spinner? Got enough RAM? Have you done all the recommended optimizations? Also, in your computer, check that all the cards and the RAM are seated properly in their sockets.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 02-22-2018, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the response. It started all of a sudden. It wasn't present in 12.8.3. Not even in 2018.1 at the beginning when PT was updated. Now the MIDI data from my Axiom AIR 61 is also jamming and finally causing PT to become non-responsive! To my knowledge, all drivers and plugins are up-to date. I use a internal 2TB Samsung SSD drive for recording. My system drive is a 1TB Samsung SSD. Got 28GB of RAM. Optimizations are properly done according to Pro Tools, Native Instruments and Windows 10 instructions. Didn't check the card and RAM stick sockets but there are no warnings for that. Thanks again.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:12 PM

I have a brand new install of PT 2018 on an i7, 8GB RAM, 1GB Video, SSD drive. I have it connected to a Scarlett 6i6 audio/midi interface controller.

My PT slows down too. I can record one track, do something else? Close the session and reopen a new one and BAM! My PT will slow to a crawl. When you hit the playback, it just slowly counts.

This is just crazy. Brand NEW fresh install, can't even create a basic midi track and simple recording with out PT losing midi inputs or slowing to a crawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midimusic View Post
Thanks for the response. It started all of a sudden. It wasn't present in 12.8.3. Not even in 2018.1 at the beginning when PT was updated. Now the MIDI data from my Axiom AIR 61 is also jamming and finally causing PT to become non-responsive! To my knowledge, all drivers and plugins are up-to date. I use a internal 2TB Samsung SSD drive for recording. My system drive is a 1TB Samsung SSD. Got 28GB of RAM. Optimizations are properly done according to Pro Tools, Native Instruments and Windows 10 instructions. Didn't check the card and RAM stick sockets but there are no warnings for that. Thanks again.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:00 PM

Hi everyone, I think I have solved the problem since it's been a month and the problem of 'the display either lags heavily or stops and even crashes the program' never came back. Also since then, I'm not getting the error AAE 9173.
I tried 3 different fixings one after another. I'll share this solution hoping someone with the similar problem gets the same benefit.
Fix#1:Click 'Windows logo' at the left bottom. Click 'this PC'. Click System drive. Open 'Program Files' folder. Open 'Avid' folder. Open 'Pro Tools' folder. Scrawl down to see 'Pro Tools' Icon. Right click it. Click 'Properties' tab. Click 'Compatibility' tab. In the 'Compatibility Mode' area, uncheck the box 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8'. Leave this blank. Also in 'Application' area, check 'Run this program as an administrator'. Hit 'Apply' and 'OK'. Restart the PC.
Fix#2:Type control in the search box from 'Start'. Then click 'Control Panel' from the result. Write 'File' in the search box on the top right of the 'Control Panel' window. Then click 'File Explorer Options' from the result. Click 'Clear' to clear 'File Explorer history'. Then click Apply > OK.
Fix#3:Go to 'C' drive. Click 'Users'. Click 'user's name'. Right click 'Desktop' and click 'Properties. Click 'Location' tab. Click 'Restore Default' tab>
hit 'Apply', hit 'OK'.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:37 PM

Things to consider:
With Windows 7 and newer, it should be standard practice to install Pro Tools(and any other program) using the Run as Administrator option(right-click on the Setup file). Ditto to using that setting under Properties>Compatibility(as you did).

Check BIOS(or EUFI or whatever its become) to see if it lists a floppy drive. If it does, disable it(even if the PC has no floppy)

Remember to NOT ever try to use drive letter A: or B: as those were reserved for floppy drives(and will cause problems if used with hard drives).

On any Windows machine, DON'T leave a disk in any CD/DVD drive while running Pro Tools(unless you are needing to import audio files). That can really slow things down

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-19-2018, 08:36 PM

Thanks albee1952 for the additional tips. Your recommendation to disable a floppy drive is what I had never did from the BIOS of my PC. I intentionally kept the floppy disk drive (designated as drive 'A') active because all of my old SMF files are saved on floppy disks. And many times I had imported those files from the floppy disks to my current PC to reuse. After learning this, now I think I will import my whole collection of old SMF to my PC and then disable the 'A' drive.
But I'm curious. Will the floppy disk drive still be usable if I designate the drive to any letter other than 'A' or 'B'? Or regardless the letters, a floppy drive should always be avoided?
Old 03-20-2018, 01:14 PM

You can enable the floppy in BIOS for any time that you actually need it. Just disable it for the rest of the time.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-20-2018, 08:18 PM

Great! Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:16 PM

Sorry to change the topic, Wozooboy, you are running PT 2018 under win 7? it works ok?