Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2003, 10:09 PM

Default Why Digi...WHY??? Where is the Innovation????

I am really impressed with the features on the new Cubase SX.

Cycle stack recording!...wow...Steinberg comes with BREAKTHROUGH ideas in almost every revision of the software...

Why digi is so way behind?... Whats wrong Digi?...are you scared you gonna disappoint the users that want it nice and simple? You dont want to over-complicate things for the people that until last year the only editing they new was with a razor in their hands?...Or is it just that...you don't THINK of these ideas or are not ABLE to program them...please throw me a bone here...

Thank GOD for Steinberg and PT has rewire...if it was up to digi...forget it...

I know I am being harsh but...I came from a Nuendo environment and all I can say is that Digi's hardware and system as a whole is the best out there...the software though...lets hope by 2010 they'll catch up...

anyway...peace
Old 10-30-2003, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Why Digi...WHY??? Where is the Innovation????

What is cycle stack recording? What is the difference between that and loop record? And why is it useful?
Old 10-30-2003, 10:52 PM

Hi! Stack record basically allows one to cycle record, and each pass creates another "lane" within a track. Great feature, one I sorely missed when dumping my Paris system for PT. Having to flip through playlists and such for doing comp's is a pain after experience that type of workflow.

With lanes within a track, the topmost lane receives priority. So, for doing say a voc or guitar comp, have the "primary" take in top lane, and then others below it. Working through from start, take the top lane and chop out the "offending" sections. Hit play, and hear it with the lane(s) below it filling in those blank spots chopped out. Fades, edits, etc. Intuitive to me. Others may disagree tho

What I wish Digi would do is make an option on tracks in the edit window for "expand playlists to lanes" type of thing. Topmost lane, or playlist, receives priority, and one has the option to move playlists from lane to lane.

Maybe there is an easy way to imitate this currently with PT, but I am just not swift enough to see it. I actually searched the DUC and asked some people about this when first buying PT due to it being a fav feature in Paris.

BTW- Paris had it before Steinberg thought of it. Paris had some very cool features that were "off the beaten path" at the time. Constrained mode and free-form mode. Similar to PT with assigning voices and such though. Steinbergs variation on this is more mature though- definitely a sweet feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:04 PM

So all you need to do in Pro Tools is:
1. Record in Loop Record.
2. Duplicate your track as many times as you have takes.
3. Set each track to the next consecutive playlist.
4. Set them all to the same voice.
5. Make the cuts, mutes, edits you want

The top track has priority.

This would take me less than 20 seconds, and has been in ProTools since version 4.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:00 AM

tweak...

Quote:
This would take me less than 20 seconds, and has been in ProTools since version 4.
EXACTLY.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:08 AM

Quote:
I am really impressed with the features on the new Cubase SX.

Me too. But cubase being a dirty word around here means very few would be willing to check out the software. I thought VST5 was crap, but SX ver 2 is completely different and a hundred times better. SX has basically been written from scratch. Its audio engine has been completely revamped and completely blows Logics draconian audio engine out of the water. Basically Im very impressed with all of SX and if I could use it as a front end I would. ( interestingly SX's audio editing is far closer to PT's than Logic is)

In digis defence I think they are really listening to their users. Rewire has been a godsend for me as well as the groove functions, and the soon to be released RTAS-VST wrapper which is going to open up further possibilities for everyone.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Steinberg comes with BREAKTHROUGH ideas
Yeah, and you really want to hear their vast amount of vsti's, with not even ONE sounding close to average!
I've worked with Cubase for a while, and they do introduce new features every time, but what a mess with all those windows!!
It was more fun on Atari 1040, in fact the MIDI was a bit off sync, so it had a little "swing" to it.
Zupah-toll!
Old 10-31-2003, 03:47 AM

The great thing about PT is that there isn't some stupid name made up for a basic function. Yeah, maybe Digi could make some things a little easier or a little quicker but there really is so much more there than most people realize.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:19 AM

"Cycle stack recording!...wow...Steinberg comes with BREAKTHROUGH ideas in almost every revision of the software..." - syra

So Steinberg basically "borrowed" it from MOTU's Polar (that feature has been available since version 2.6)...
So much for "innovation"....

P.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:22 AM

Trying out a new hardware platform because of one or two new features is like...
"Divorcing your wonderful/beautiful wife to marry your new 18yr old 2 week old girlfriend"
Its ain't cheap, easy, or cost effective......and who knows if she's gonna turn into a witch?