Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2000, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Inexpensive, yet powerful backup software for CDR users. Retrospect express!

Sorry,

I have my problems to get Retrospect Express to work well. I bought it because of the good and satisfied opinions here.
I wonder if anyone REALLY used it.
My first backup attempt (a 3.2 GB session) ended with an error on CD number 6 (out of 6). I enabled the options varification and compression, was this my mistake?

Since this one failed I tried another session, 1.1 GB this time (2 CDs), same story, error found right before the end of the session. So 8 blanks wasted already! I was in good mood, NOT.
Since I know that my sessions are ok (drives and sessions were checked before) I was brave enough to try it again.
This time (the same 1.1GB session) with verification and compression turned off.
First thing I noticed was that Retrospect Express was a lot faster (maybe because their compression sucks?) and backing up the 1.1 GB session on 2 CDs worked well.

BUT:
I obviously asked for too much because I was trying to restore that session as well.
And no go, 6 errors found and I tried it 2 times.

Sorry guys, this piece of software is wasted money, I am glad I only wasted 50 bucks for a net purchase.
**** it is.

Someone may correct me on this one.
Old 05-08-2000, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Inexpensive, yet powerful backup software for CDR users. Retrospect express!

Real strange Oliver. Is your CDR listed as one of their compatible drives? If so I would definately speak to dantz customer support.

I've backed up my entire system drive several times without an error, and have done selective restores of files with no problem. I know I had verification on, as it prompts for the disks after backup for verification. I actually don't know if I had compression on...if that's the default setting then I did.

Tom
Old 05-08-2000, 03:18 PM

Tom,

I actually tested it with 2 CD burners, a Teac CD-R58S and a Yamaha CDR400t.
And both run fine!
Old 05-08-2000, 07:52 PM

Oliver Momm,

Give Retrospect express a lot of memory, disable compression and verify. R.E. Works like a champ for me; However, It does seem to run a lot faster with more memory and no compression.

Regards

e
Old 05-09-2000, 10:31 AM

editor,

would you consider 30 MB as enough?
Meanwhile I wasted some 20 blanks or more and still no go, with or without compression and/or varification.

I even tried 2 different brands by now.

And why do only 620 MB fit on one (Retrospect) CD, the averrage is 650 MB usually, isn't?
Anyway, I wish it would work at least.

Is there an application or utility that splits folders up into 650 MB folders, or any other specified size?
Old 05-09-2000, 10:49 AM

Just ordered my v. 5.1 off the dantz site (can't wait!) I've been drooling for a piece of software like this since I started out last year.

[This message has been edited by beggehorn (edited May 09, 2000).]
Intel i9-10980xe
64 GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Matrox C420
Avid Artist Mix
Old 05-14-2000, 09:22 PM

To Oliver Momm-I'd love to speak to you about some projects. Peace.