Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 06-16-2019, 09:01 AM

Default Recording/Monitoring Question

Hello, I recently upgraded from PT 11 to PT 2019. I was wondering if it is possible to monitor the input with the record button enabled during playback without the green "I" enabled? When I only have the record button enabled I can not hear anything from the mic during playback unless the "I" is enabled. Just want to know if that is normal behavior.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Recording/Monitoring Question

You might be in Input Only Mode.

Try Opt+K Mac or Alt+K Windows to toggle between Auto Input and Input Only.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-16-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
You might be in Input Only Mode.

Try Opt+K Mac or Alt+K Windows to toggle between Auto Input and Input Only.
This won't fix issues if they were as described.

Pro Tools 2019

Track> Set Record Tracks to Input Only

-and-

Tracks > Set Record Tracks to Auto Input

just globally applies what you can do with the per-track input monitoring buttons.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedef View Post
Hello, I recently upgraded from PT 11 to PT 2019. I was wondering if it is possible to monitor the input with the record button enabled during playback without the green "I" enabled? When I only have the record button enabled I can not hear anything from the mic during playback unless the "I" is enabled. Just want to know if that is normal behavior.
It's totally normal behavior doing punch in. I am guessing that is what is happening here (maybe unintentionally?). Carefully read the section on input monitoring in the Pro Tools Reference Guide, it's well written (Avid even fixed the past doc bug I reported, but... I just saw another trivial one... does not really affect anything but who else can spot it )

If you have Pro Tools Ultimate (and I doubt it or you would have seen this in Pro Tools 11) you might possibly be getting hung up on additional settings.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-16-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Totally normal. How else would you punch into an existing track if you can't hear the recorded material.

That's what the Green I button is for, puts the track in input where you only hear the input and not the pre-recorded track.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
This won't fix issues if they were as described.

Pro Tools 2019

Track> Set Record Tracks to Input Only

-and-

Tracks > Set Record Tracks to Auto Input

just globally applies what you can do with the per-track input monitoring buttons.
I mistook his problem. I thought he wanted to hear playback while he was recording the mic input.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-17-2019, 12:11 PM

I just wanted to make sure I am doing it right. I'm used to pressing play and the artist is able to hear their self so they can rehearse just with the record enable button on. Now I see I have to press the green "I" button during playback unless I record the take.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I just wanted to make sure I am doing it right. I'm used to pressing play and the artist is able to hear their self so they can rehearse just with the record enable button on. Now I see I have to press the green "I" button during playback unless I record the take.
There are a few ways to approach this, so here's some to consider:
Put an AUX track beside the AUDIO track you are recording. Copy the plugins and sends and set the AUX to the same input. You can mute the AUDIO track if the performer doesn't need to hear it, or mute a section of it(by muting a separated clip). And, you can record to the audio track, even with it muted

Or-Set to Loop Record(and set prefs to automatically create new Playlist for each pass). Add pre and post roll and let it go until the performer gets a good take(its easy enough to delete the other playlists at a later time).

Or-set the AUDIO track to INPUT monitoring and copy some audio(what they want to hear, leading up to the rehearsed part) onto another AUDIO track(which can be deleted later on).

My personal preference is to actually record each pass(you don't need to tell the artist its recording) and if a pass was a "throwaway". just Ctrl-Z to undo the recording(the artist won't know, so they won't care).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-18-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I ALWAYS record. You never know...
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.