Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2010, 10:48 AM

Default MIDI Automation? Is it possible? (Komplete 6 + Kore 2 + Axiom Pro)

Challenge:
I understand how automation works in general (volume, pan, plug-ins), but seem to be having issues when I try to automate my MIDI tracks/instruments.

The problem is, I record a MIDI instrument track with say a synth using my Axiom. Then I try to go in and record automation like I do normally, but instead of using my mouse and faders, I use my Kore 2 controller, you know... morph the patch this way and that with filters and envelopes while the session plays back and automation is armed.

Afterwards, when I play back the track, the MIDI instrument is left at the last settings of where the filters and envelopes were, no automation is recorded.

I know there has to be a way to record those parameter changes right???

And please don't tell me the only way to record automation using MIDI is while printing to an audio track, because I've had success doing it that way, but that's less than desirable.

Windows 7 - Reaper 3 - Lynx Aurora 16 - RME HDSPe AES - DigiMax FS - Eureka - Axiom Pro - Yamaha HS80Ms + HS10W Sub
Old 02-11-2010, 05:48 AM

Default Re: MIDI Automation? Is it possible? (Komplete 6 + Kore 2 + Axiom Pro)

Not entirely sure what you're asking here, but if I understand you correctly, couldn't you just record arm your midi track (make sure the MIDI merge is on so you don't overwrite anything) and then record your controller while the track plays? This should record your controller movements.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:02 AM

Default Re: MIDI Automation? Is it possible? (Komplete 6 + Kore 2 + Axiom Pro)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Not entirely sure what you're asking here, but if I understand you correctly, couldn't you just record arm your midi track (make sure the MIDI merge is on so you don't overwrite anything) and then record your controller while the track plays? This should record your controller movements.
Thanks for the response, I'll have to try that. Unfortunately, my PT won't start now due to my favorite.. BSOD!!!! :P I'll report my findings as soon as I'm up and running again.

Windows 7 - Reaper 3 - Lynx Aurora 16 - RME HDSPe AES - DigiMax FS - Eureka - Axiom Pro - Yamaha HS80Ms + HS10W Sub