Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2017, 04:18 AM

Default Re: Zero Downtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
If iLok can recover the licenses off the broken iLok you get the respective permanent license assets back don't you? I know in the interim you get temp licenses.
The serious point though is .... if you decide that $30 per year is a price worth paying for ZDT, then it makes no sense not to switch on TLC.

That is the ONLY way to guarantee getting ALL of your iLok licenses permanently replaced if your iLok breaks, gets lost, or is stolen.

And the only price you pay for that is that your iLok must be connected to the internet using iLok License Manager within 90 days for the licenses to be refreshed. That's roughly four times per year. Not an onerous imposition, considering the benefit of immediate replacement permanent licenses being issued, with no questions asked, whether lost, stolen, or broken.

Anything else puts you at the mercy of software manufacturers who may or may not agree to issue you with replacement licenses, or at the mercy of Pace's ability to recover licenses from your broken iLok. If it is so badly damaged that they cannot recover some (or all) of those licenses, then, again you at the mercy of the software manufacturers.

And the chance of recovery is only for a broken iLok you send to Pace. That process is irrelevant if your iLok is lost or stolen.

I keep a spare iLok handy, it is protected in bubble wrap and lives in my laptop bag, and am mightily reassured that the only problem I might encounter with ZDT + TLC is that if I am on location with no wifi connectivity then I would be unable to download my replacement licenses.

On another topic, but relevant, I was doing a live choir recording last Saturday. When I fired up PT on my MacBookPro, I got a message saying that my License Manager was out of date and needed updating. Pro Tools refused to run, which I was most unhappy about.

I had received a similar message a few times over the last few weeks, but had just dismissed it. At no stage do I recall the message saying that if I didn't update soon/now, my iLok licenses would no longer work. PT had continued to boot up without problems. It wasn't a ZDT/TLC refresh message. I hadn't appreciated that it would eventually stop PT loading up at all. I'm still unsure exactly why this happened. I had thought my iLok Kicense Manager was up to date, so I just dismissed the message as a glitch. Maybe something had become corrupted about the iLok License Manager installation.

I am wondering whether the replacement Space License I got recently, issued by Avid to authorise Space 12.1 and up, is the cause. The previous one was the license issued to authorise Space AAX, itself a replacement for my original Space LE license. It is the only License to have changed on my iLok in recent weeks.

Maybe there is something about that license that required a new version of iLok License Manager to be installed, but it was working ok prior to Saturday. But if that is the case, I would have just expected Space not to work, not for PT itself to refuse to run.

However, with a 4g signal available on my phone, I created a personal wifi hotspot, connected the MBP to it, and downloaded the latest iLok License Manager. It took a couple of minutes. I then installed it, and was able to boot up PT successfully.

Phew ... A scary moment, as there was insufficient time before the concert was starting for me to go somewhere else to download it.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 06-09-2017, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Zero Downtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post

On another topic, but relevant, I was doing a live choir recording last Saturday. When I fired up PT on my MacBookPro, I got a message saying that my License Manager was out of date and needed updating. Pro Tools refused to run, which I was most unhappy about.

I had received a similar message a few times over the last few weeks, but had just dismissed it. At no stage do I recall the message saying that if I didn't update soon/now, my iLok licenses would no longer work. PT had continued to boot up without problems. It wasn't a ZDT/TLC refresh message. I hadn't appreciated that it would eventually stop PT loading up at all. I'm still unsure exactly why this happened. I had thought my iLok Kicense Manager was up to date, so I just dismissed the message as a glitch. Maybe something had become corrupted about the iLok License Manager installation.

I am wondering whether the replacement Space License I got recently, issued by Avid to authorise Space 12.1 and up, is the cause. The previous one was the license issued to authorise Space AAX, itself a replacement for my original Space LE license. It is the only License to have changed on my iLok in recent weeks.

Maybe there is something about that license that required a new version of iLok License Manager to be installed, but it was working ok prior to Saturday. But if that is the case, I would have just expected Space not to work, not for PT itself to refuse to run.

However, with a 4g signal available on my phone, I created a personal wifi hotspot, connected the MBP to it, and downloaded the latest iLok License Manager. It took a couple of minutes. I then installed it, and was able to boot up PT successfully.

Phew ... A scary moment, as there was insufficient time before the concert was starting for me to go somewhere else to download it.
The way I'm reading your response was that your MBP wasn't online when you went to do the location recording right? Without that there's no way I can think of how the ILM s/w would know your version is out of date. And even then unless you went specifically to the iLok site it wouldn't know (the ILM doesn't have auto install updates does it? - if it does I never used it). Unless like you say your ILM install got corrupted. I saying that because if it had been something in the new Space license asset that needed an updated ILM version you would have been told about it when you put that asset on your iLok unless you used a separate machine to sync up your iLok.

QAPLA!