Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2004, 09:59 AM

Default vocal booths

I'm looking to build a vocal booth in my apartment in the new year. Any suggestions of companys that supply the insolation materials at a reasonable rate? Or any one-stop solutions? It'll be fairly multi-purpose... vox, maybe guitars, some voice-over, etc.
Obviously, the key issues are 1. quality of the booth 2. sound-proofing, so that I don't drive my neighbours mad.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Steve
Old 12-20-2004, 10:52 AM

Default Re: vocal booths

A few things to think about/remember is lighting (so the talent's not in the dark) and fresh air movement. An isolation booth can get hot rather quick for vocal talent if not vented somehow without hurting the recording quality. Look at soft lighting that will not produce heat or lamp noise. For sound proofing remember during the construction of it to use staggard studding rather than build a wall and hang it. And depending on what floor you are on in your appt. building isolating between the booth and the floor itself to cut back on sound translation. Staggard studding construction has a "cusion" between the walls so that the sound does not translate thru the walls (as easy). Meaning the sound will not hit the wall..travel thru the studs..and vibe off the outer wall, but rather hit the inner wall...thru the stud..getting "lost" in the cusion area and not translate (as well if at all) to the outer wall. Same with the flooring. Check out www.auralex.com for tips on the construction as well as materials to use for the inner and under the booth. www.whisperroom.com can give you some ideas in your building and www.americanmusicalsupply.com can give you foam to line the booth with..along with many other goodies!

Good Luck!
LHP
Old 12-20-2004, 10:57 AM

Here is a link to a great studio design forum. You can find good info there, I bet-

PC

http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php
Old 12-20-2004, 11:09 AM

thanks a million for all that mate, that looks like all the information I'm gonna need!
So many many thanks, I'll be constructing in the new year hopefully
merry christmas,
steve:)
Old 12-22-2004, 10:52 AM

Glad it helped! Have a Merry Christmas too!