Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2008, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Project Crashes Upon Startup

It only takes about 10 minutes to uninstall and reinstall, what are you afraid of? I'm not sure why you'd ask for help if you don't want the suggestions.

The only time I've heard of trashing preferences causing problems to become worse is if your Pro Tools install is bad, session is already corrupted or plug-ins are corrupted or pirated (more so a problem on PC).
Again, I'd clean uninstall and reinstall just to be sure Pro Tools is not corrupting sessions.

But more so than anything - I'd focus on reinstalling and updating plug-ins. Digi qualified Altiverb 6.0.2 and yours is showing 5 in the crash log.
Follow this page as they've qualified the versions in the far right column for your version of PT: http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?lang...n=news_details
Once you're plug-ins are updated if it's still happening send the 3rd party plug-in manufactures an email to let them know that their plug-ins are conflicting with one another and they can log it as a bug if not logged already.

Finally, MANY of Native Instruments plug-ins are 100% incompatible with Pro Tools on Leopard. So if they are in your plug-ins folder you must remove them. When you notice bugginess and instability as you're describing it's almost always from 3rd party plug-ins. Once you pull out those bad plug-ins and update the rest problems should be all gone. Read over this page too:
http://www.native-instruments.com/in...c7d1e660fe6d7d

From that link "Native Instruments does not recommend using the RTAS versions of these products under Mac OS X 10.5 in conjunction with Pro Tools."

And 10.5.5 is not qualified yet either, though no known issues yet, you jumped the gun on that one too.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premo View Post
It only takes about 10 minutes to uninstall and reinstall, what are you afraid of? I'm not sure why you'd ask for help if you don't want the suggestions.
Not sure that would actually be a solution path worth following.

Quote:
The only time I've heard of trashing preferences causing problems to become worse is if your Pro Tools install is bad, session is already corrupted or plug-ins are corrupted or pirated (more so a problem on PC).
Again, I'd clean uninstall and reinstall just to be sure Pro Tools is not corrupting sessions.
If you read the stuff before, if I disable Altiverb, the project loads. If I enable Altiverb and disable Melodyne it will load. Having both active causes a crash. I've had both these plug ins working since May in this project, and they were working fine until the other day, after spending time doing some vocal pitch correction with Melodyne plugin.

Quote:
But more so than anything - I'd focus on reinstalling and updating plug-ins. Digi qualified Altiverb 6.0.2 and yours is showing 5 in the crash log.
Not sure why it says 5, cause 6.0.2 is the one installed on the Mac.

Quote:
Follow this page as they've qualified the versions in the far right column for your version of PT: http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?lang...n=news_details
Once you're plug-ins are updated if it's still happening send the 3rd party plug-in manufactures an email to let them know that their plug-ins are conflicting with one another and they can log it as a bug if not logged already.
Been there. I at first thought it was Melodyne, since that was the only thing we worked on before this happened. Looking at the crash though, it says it is Altiverb that is causing it to die. I emailed Audioease and I haven't gotten a reply yet.

Quote:
Finally, MANY of Native Instruments plug-ins are 100% incompatible with Pro Tools on Leopard. So if they are in your plug-ins folder you must remove them. When you notice bugginess and instability as you're describing it's almost always from 3rd party plug-ins. Once you pull out those bad plug-ins and update the rest problems should be all gone. Read over this page too:
http://www.native-instruments.com/in...c7d1e660fe6d7d
Never said anything about NI plugins. In this project I have 2 instances of Altiverb, about 10 Melodyne plugins (used a lot on a vocal track, and touches here and there on instrumental tracks), and various McDSP plugins. All these things had been working perfectly since April/May.

Quote:
And 10.5.5 is not qualified yet either, though no known issues yet, you jumped the gun on that one too.
Look, I jumped the gun when I got a MacPro back in Feb and was pretty much forced to run ProTools and beta drivers until Digidesign got its act together and certified ProTools to run. I had been using ProTools on this system back then and it worked fine. Knocked the processors down to 4, and everything worked fine.

So the only suggestion you have is to uninstall and reinstall ProTools?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:48 AM

I'm running 10.5.5 and Melodyne plug-in, without any problems so I don't think that would be it. However I usually only use one or 2 active instances at a time, rendering an audio track after tweaking whatever it is I'm tweaking (usually vocals) and then inactivating the track. That being said, I'm with you on the point where it would be better to find out the core problem rather than just re-install without know what was at the heart of the issue. That only means it could happen again.

May be worth following up on why the Altiverb version in the log is not the same as the one installed on the system. I guess a simple check of the live plug-in with in the session will confirm this. (Of course with Melodyne plug-in removed)....

I see you posted up on the Celemony site as well, which was my next suggestion, hopefully Claudio and co. will have some ideas.

When you bring the session up without Melodyne, is that without all 10 instances? It doesn't come up with 1 or 2 active instances, yes/no?
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 09-25-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradch00 View Post
I'm running 10.5.5 and Melodyne plug-in, without any problems so I don't think that would be it. However I usually only use one or 2 active instances at a time, rendering an audio track after tweaking whatever it is I'm tweaking (usually vocals) and then inactivating the track. That being said, I'm with you on the point where it would be better to find out the core problem rather than just re-install without know what was at the heart of the issue. That only means it could happen again.
Exactly. And it wasn't like I did anything outlandish to my project. Spent 2 some hours in Melodyne. Every other project seems to load fine and those projects use Melodyne and Altiverb as well, though not nearly as much.

Quote:
May be worth following up on why the Altiverb version in the log is not the same as the one installed on the system. I guess a simple check of the live plug-in with in the session will confirm this. (Of course with Melodyne plug-in removed)....
I am in touch with AudioEase with this. They were prompt (as was Celemony) in replying. I sent them the crash log and the project file.

Quote:
I see you posted up on the Celemony site as well, which was my next suggestion, hopefully Claudio and co. will have some ideas.
They had some suggestions, but I think I'm pursuing the issue with AudioEase now as that seems to be the consistent thread that will crash the project.

Quote:
When you bring the session up without Melodyne, is that without all 10 instances? It doesn't come up with 1 or 2 active instances, yes/no?
I only have tried loading the project without ALL the Melodyne tracks. That will allow it to be opened. Or without the two instances of Altiverb (and melodyne enabled). That will load as well.

Just to get the project back up, I am down to one Altiverb. Not really a big deal, the other one was using the same reverb space but sending back at a different level. I can compensate for that and get away with one instance if that is what it takes.

I think the root of the problem is why I hit this problem. Can I only have 2 altiverb, 24 tracks, and 10 instances of Melodyne (which isn't used that much on 9 of the tracks, and a lot on one track) on a 8-core 2.8gigahertz MacPro with 6 gigs of ram? Or is there something else going on? I'm thinking the latter.........
Old 09-28-2008, 12:30 AM

It seems it might be some sort of Altiverb bug. Aram Verwoest from AudioEase seems to think that perhaps a pending update to Altiverb will fix the loading problem.

The solution to the problem currently has been to limit my session to one instance of Altiverb. Maybe I will hear back from AudioEase next week after they play with my session file and look into the crash log.