Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2008, 05:17 PM

Default What to do?

I have just ordered an iMac and is putting things in place. My main issue is concerning the firewire drive. I would like to know if I can use any SATA hard drives in the Glyph firewire receiver. Even the ones in my PC? An old Mac user is advising me to partition the drive that is coming with it. One partition for recording to and one for samples. Is it OK to record on the same drive but different partition?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:54 PM

Default Re: What to do?

Quote:
I have just ordered an iMac and is putting things in place. My main issue is concerning the firewire drive. I would like to know if I can use any SATA hard drives in the Glyph firewire receiver. Even the ones in my PC? An old Mac user is advising me to partition the drive that is coming with it. One partition for recording to and one for samples. Is it OK to record on the same drive but different partition?
I use an iMac to record on. You should probably consider using something OTHER than what your audio device is on. So, if you got a USB2 audio interface, use a firewire drive to record on.

I don't notice any difference recording on the internal HD or a firewire one. The M-Audio interface I have is USB2, and I have it record to a Firewire drive.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:15 PM

HI,

as long as you don´t use DFD for your samples but load them to RAM it´s ok to use the same FW drive.
You can also use the System Disk for samples and the FW for recording.

Avoid using the System Drive for recording. You CAN do as a workaround. But Systemperformance
for recording and system performance will be at stake. It´s among other reason like Hotfile Adaptive Clustering quite unpredictable for high load performance duty. No one he recommends it, which does not mean you CAN`T do it.

best
Old 07-11-2008, 01:25 AM

I would be using a Black Box (USB) as my interface. I also wanted to find out about the Glyph Receiver and compatible hard drives.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:24 PM

as long as it has an Oxford 911 or 924 Bridgechip in it it´s ok.
I´ll suggest the 924DBS, which has FW400/800 USB2.0 and eSATA ports.

any harddrive with at least 8MB cache and 7.2K RPM is good. the more the better.

best