Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 03-24-2009, 10:12 PM

Default How to Downmix 5.1 to Stereo via aux/busses

Did a search and there was quite a few posts scattered all over so if one of you is kind enough to walk me through this process, it'll be much appreciated.
I'm looking for a way to create a stereo downmix from my 5.1 via aux and busses following the Dolby norm. Thanks a lot.

vudoo@videotron.ca
Old 03-24-2009, 10:28 PM

Default Re: How to Downmix 5.1 to Stereo via aux/busses

Use sends, and pan.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:21 AM

Create 4 auxes 2 in stereo and 2 in mono, the 2 stereo pairs will be for the LR and LsRs, mono's are for the center and LFE. Now go into your I/O set up and create a new 5.1 buss with sub paths that have stereo and mono paths.
Now you can route your full mix into those auxes and split them apart respectivley. The key is to also dip your LR&LsRs -6dB and your center -9dB the LFE is a personal choice wheather you want to keep it or not, if you keep it
You should dip it anywhere from -3dB to -9dB. Basically there is a 3dB difference between your LR,LsRs and Center.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0007185/
coryrizos.com
Old 03-25-2009, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryos View Post
Create 4 auxes 2 in stereo and 2 in mono, the 2 stereo pairs will be for the LR and LsRs, mono's are for the center and LFE. Now go into your I/O set up and create a new 5.1 buss with sub paths that have stereo and mono paths.
Now you can route your full mix into those auxes and split them apart respectivley. The key is to also dip your LR&LsRs -6dB and your center -9dB the LFE is a personal choice wheather you want to keep it or not, if you keep it
You should dip it anywhere from -3dB to -9dB. Basically there is a 3dB difference between your LR,LsRs and Center.
"and your center -9dB"
Did you mean this? Usual would be -3dB (left/right power addition would bring this back up to unity) or am I misunderstanding you?

"the LFE is a personal choice wheather you want to keep it or not, if you keep it. You should dip it anywhere from -3dB to -9dB"
You have to remember that there is 10dB in band gain on a discrete .1 playback chain which you won't have on a folddown, some people actually put gain in on an LFE folddown rather than attenuation.

Pete
Old 03-25-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Now you can route your full mix into those auxes and split them apart respectivley
Cory,

Thanks for your help. In I/O set up i have my 192 output 1-6 set for 5.1 and output 7-8 for.
For example my current session has a Master 5.1 output fader. All my session's stereo and mono tracks have either a mono, stereo, LCR, L/R or Ls/Rs ( these are sub-path created from my 5.1 main path in I/O set up ) assigned to them as output, wich in turn are outputted to the master 5.1 fader.
Now, what i'm unsure is how i can route the same mix into the newly created AUX for stereo foldown and outputted to my STEREO path ( 7-8 ). Do i need to go back to each track on my session and do a dual output assign, one for the 5.1 bus and the other for stereo bus. Thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 08:43 PM

Nevermind, i got it...thanks