Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-25-2020, 02:36 AM

Default Re: 2019 Mac Pro in control room

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE View Post
now, back to my other dilemma: if (or how) to rethink mac pro purchase plan based on apple silicon transition. but that's another thread...
Last transition taught me that if you need something now you need to buy something now. If you don't need something now you don't need to buy something now.

Apple said transition would take 2 years and it is pretty much given that Mac Pro is the last to be updated. Given how long it took this current one to come out it may be way longer than 2 years. And even if you bought that thing one day before the new one, it would still be a good machine for many years.

... so back to the point, you buy stuff when you need stuff.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
replacing a 2009 MP with a new tower, and wondering whether it will be sufficiently quiet to locate in my control room without any isolation. the current MP is in a machine room, but in recent years the machine room has gotten crowded to the point that maintenance requires advanced gymnastic maneuvers. it would be sweet to move the MP to the control room, but not at the expense of a noticeably elevated noise floor.

the new configuration will probably be:

2019 MP, 16-core, ~150 GB RAM, Radeon Pro W5700X, 1 TB SSD, HDX 1, and two m.2 expansion cards that will presumably utilize fans. (suggestions for quiet m.2 cards definitely appreciated!)

without factoring in the unknown impact of m.2 expansion, has anyone run a somewhat similar new MP configuration in their control room without noise issues?
My 2019 Mac Pro is totally silent.
The HDX card I have in there is also totally silent except when I restart the computer- it spins up for 2-3 seconds and then goes silent.

The new MP is the quietest computer I've ever owned.

This M.2 card what I use:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FU9JS94

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 07-22-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
The new Mac Pro is SO quiet HDX fan noise is getting to me. I really don’t like the idea of disabling the HDX fan.

So... I’ve installed Macs Fan Control
https://crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control
This allows you to take manual control of all the fans in your Mac and it supports the new Mac Pro. It’s free.

I’ve sped up one of the three main fans, (the one nearest the HDX card) from the default Auto setting to 1000RPM. The increase in noise is minimal. When set to Auto, (presumably under control of Mac OS,) those three fans all run at around for 500RPM and have never gone above that here.

The HDX fan is now coming on far less often. In my default PT template, the fan usually comes on after a few minutes. Today it hasn’t come on at all and it’s been a warm day here. Early days but this looks worth perusing.

The very slight increase in noise from the Mac Pro’s very quiet fan is infinitely preferably to the high pitched noise of the HDX fan.
dave, how has this been working out for you?
Old 07-22-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
dave, how has this been working out for you?
It’s a definite improvement but not a complete fix. The HDX fan is coming on far less frequently rather than all the time. It happens on a really hot day but we don’t get many of those here in North West England.

It doesn’t seem to have had any impact on normal running of the Mac Pro. The three big fans have never gone above a virtually silent 500rpm apart from the one by the HDX card I tweaked to run at 1000rpm.

In short... if your room is at a constant temperature then I think Mac Fan Control could be tweaked to keep the HDX fan silent at the expense of a slight increase in noise from the Mac Pro fan. Definitely worth trying especially since it’s free.