Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 PM

Default Opinions on the best live set up for 11R

i'm trying ti figure out how i'm going to play live with the 11 rack. i have a 4x12 cab with celestion V30's. should i get a power amp to run the 11 rack through my cab? should i get an amp head and run the 11 rack through my cab, or should i sell the cab and run my 11 rack through a powered pa speaker?

thanks for any replies
Old 06-29-2012, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Opinions on the best live set up for 11R

I'm mainly a studio engineer/producer, but I have used it hooked up to the FX-loop return on my Carvin Legacy amp head (+ Carvin 4x12 V30).

Both for tracking a real cabinet (great recording room in my studio + it's fun ) for studio work and also for some gigs (played by other). Both with great success.

I do not like to track all that much guitars in stereo, so I have set my 11R mostly to mono (for gigging anyway).
Then going from the 11R Main Out (one of them) to the FX-loop return on my amp.

If you really want stereo for your live sound, you can always get a dedicated stereo poweramp to feed your cabinet (either a stereo cab or two mono cabs).

All that said, you have to take care of your output level in two stages. First the Rig Out volume itself (balance these between presets), and then use the Main Out volume to feed your amp.

Another method is of corse to use one of the Output to Amp outputs. But these are constructed to go to your amp's input.

Either way, remember to turn of the cab simulation when going to a real cabinet.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:54 AM

Personally, I believe that the ER is best played through a full-range system having enough power to play at the volumes you prefer.

If you'd like to run through a guitar cab (assuming you'd like to have all your sounds built around that cab), it's probably best to use a transparent (i.e. solid state) power amp to drive the cab so you can rely on the ER's power amp simulation.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
If you'd like to run through a guitar cab (assuming you'd like to have all your sounds built around that cab), it's probably best to use a transparent (i.e. solid state) power amp to drive the cab so you can rely on the ER's power amp simulation.
Yes it is a balancing act (the 11 R power amp sim settings) in conjunction with a tube amp. Depending on how load you drive your amp.
As we speak, I'm checking out different Solid State Poweramps to use between the 11R and speaker cab.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
Personally, I believe that the ER is best played through a full-range system having enough power to play at the volumes you prefer.

yeah i think this might be the way to go for me because i really dig my cab. so a solid state power amp would give better results than a tube power amp?
Old 06-29-2012, 03:35 PM

Realize that using a cabinet will impart the tone of those speakers on all your amp models. You may not get an amp's "classic" tone using other speakers.

I've achieved the best results using a quality powered monitor.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:49 PM

I'm running a Matrix GM50 worked into the back of a Marshall 4x12 stereo cab and as of tonight, am quite satisfied with the results (had the ER for a week now). The way I worked it, I wired the Matrix to a new set of phone plugs (I only use one but have two for a stereo option down the road) and left the stock plugs intact. This way I can run a tube head into the cab just like stock by plugging it in as normal.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:05 PM

I develop my rigs in my studio and then take them live / mono with one output to a powered amp and the other straight into the board with a bit of EQ mod. Perfect!

It seems to me that this is how it was designed to be used. I don’t know why guys do anything else. It always puzzles me why some guys use amps and cabs with a modeler… ???
Old 07-01-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnsman1 View Post
I develop my rigs in my studio and then take them live / mono with one output to a powered amp and the other straight into the board with a bit of EQ mod. Perfect!
This is how I run also. I play primarily at church and have my own monitor/mix so I use that exclusively. When we play outreach concerts I take a powered wedge so that I can monitor myself without blowing the rest of the band out in the monitors (fewer monitor sends when we play out).
Old 07-01-2012, 07:33 PM

I tweak tones using the Output To Amp 1 signal on front panel with "Output To Amp" preferences set at Amp Input running directly into the front of a Fender Supersonic 60 watt 1 x 12 combo.

Live rig is XLR Main Outs (with cab enabled thanks to Moff!) to mixer to QSC 2450 amp cranked loud through a pair of JBL JRX125's. Fantastic sound at current QSC/JBL price points.