Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2003, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Daw sum cd by Lynn Fuston very helpful !!

Quote:
Originally posted by Haigbabe:

So up to this point, while some files cancelled each other out up to -infinity, they still sound different, and we need to work out how and why.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't think your opinion represents a consensus. I don't think we can yet jump to the conclusion that the bit-identical files sound different. If you perceive them as different I would double and triple check your methodology. Scramble them up and test again. Then repeat that again. See if there's any long-term consistency to your findings.

-R
Old 05-09-2003, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mpayne:
Well, without wanting to hijack this too far onto a sideline issue, if the files are not sample accurate in terms of their start times, surely in theory no amount of reversing phase and cancelling should be expected to work. I always assumed that if 2 files were even one sample out against each other, they would not cancel...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Maybe I misunderstood. The reason that there is a sync pop at the beginning of each file is to making it easy to time align them.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:19 PM

Greetings RKrizman..

Quote:
I don't think your opinion represents a consensus. I don't think we can yet jump to the conclusion that the bit-identical files sound different. If you perceive them as different I would double and triple check your methodology.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You're right, I should have been a bit more careful with how I said that.

OTOH, are you saying that they definitely sound exactly the same?

Best regards,

Haigbabe
Old 05-11-2003, 12:08 AM

I remember Roger Nichols wrote an article in EQ about listening to 2 identical files (bit for bit) on 2 different CDRs and he swore they sounded different. One was a CDR he burned himself from his own system, the other was a test CDR from the pressing plant. People at the label thought he was crazy, but he demanded that they press the CDs at a different place, and then he was happy with the results.

I hope I'm remembering the story correctly.

-kid pro
Old 05-12-2003, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kid pro:
I remember Roger Nichols wrote an article in EQ about listening to 2 identical files (bit for bit) on 2 different CDRs and he swore they sounded different. One was a CDR he burned himself from his own system, the other was a test CDR from the pressing plant. People at the label thought he was crazy, but he demanded that they press the CDs at a different place, and then he was happy with the results.

I hope I'm remembering the story correctly.

-kid pro
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This story has nothing to do with Lynn's test. No dither was used, no CD's were burned, no bits were reduced, and Roger Nichols probably hasn't heard it.

(Gee, I "swear" I left my keys right there on the table . . . )

Really, though, the point of Lynn's whole test is to move past this type of anectodal mythologizing.

-R
Old 05-12-2003, 05:51 PM

Hello. I just ordered the CD! Will be reporting back on results. As an aside, I have started a thread that deals directly with these types of discussions. If interested follow the link.

Science vs. Art