Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2009, 09:51 AM

Default Voiceover tips (recording the human voice)

We record a lot of voice overs at ALT Recording Studios in Brighton. I've been unable to find much advice on the web about recording the human voice.

I've given an overview of what we do but would love to hear any tips or techniques used.

I always appreciate the difficulty in recording the human voice well. Colouration be it from roo acoustics, excessive compression, bad microphone techniques etc can ruin a recording. We hear the human voice everyday and so instantly know when it sounds wrong.

As with any recording it is always best to start at the source. In this case the voice over artist. Sitting comfortably, having good posture can work wonders.What I always try and aim for from a voice over artist is to optimise volume levels, reduce excessive sibilance and microphone popping, reduce excessive bass due to microphone proximity. In our control room at our Brighton studio we position the artists with their back to wall covered in auralex acoustic tiles to help avoid a boxy sound and create a pleasant reverberation ambiance.

Each mic has its own sound. At ALT Recording Studios we use Rode valve mics for recording voice over artists. We find it has a clean yet warm quality.

At the mix down stage I usually add compression but only with ratios up to 4:1 and a threshold of less than 5dB to get rid of the the peaks. To keep everything sounding natural I use a fast attack and a release time of around a 0.25 of a second. I always try and avoid gating, de essing and eq unless there are specific issues I am trying to remedy.

I've posted more details on our website

www.altrecordingstudios.com

http://www.altrecordingstudios.co.uk...okenvoice.html
Old 07-26-2009, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Voiceover tips (recording the human voice)

I find nothing here to find fault with. thanks stephentedsmith.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-26-2009, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Voiceover tips (recording the human voice)

Wow. Great tips. This will definitely help me with a project I'm currently working on.