Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-20-2005, 01:30 AM

Default Using Pro Tools As My Sequencer

Hey guys. I've been using Pro Tools as my editing/mastering program for some time now. I've always programmed my music with software such as Reason or Ableton Live. But I'm getting tired of the stability issues of these programs. I'd like to used Pro Tools and Pro Tools only, but I've got a couple questions before I go deleting all these programs.

1. I use alot of VST's. I understand all I need is a VST Wrapper and then I can record in to PT. Does this get recorded onto a MIDI or Audio track?

2. Can I use a USB MIDI controller with Pro Tools? I use the Mbox which doesn't have any MIDI inputs. If USB input isn't an option, I guess I could buy a MIDI I/O.

3. Does anyone in here use Pro Tools only as their sequencer and editor? Kinda like I wanna do here. If so, do you have any complaints? Or and tips/tricks? How do you like the step sequencer?

Any help would be fan-freakin-tastic.

Tone
Old 04-20-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Using Pro Tools As My Sequencer

Hi,

The VST Wrapper from FXPANSION is fantastic. I've been using it for like a year now and very happy. You buy it on line from their site and download it.
http://www.fxpansion.com
And it works just like normal MIDI.

I was a big LOGIC user an had used it since my ATARI days when it was NOTATOR...Like years nearly, so when APPLE bought Logic I was a bit upset when they ceased PC support. For ages I'd still program in Logic then export and import into Pro tools. Was a pain. Now I just use Pro Tools. Yes the midi may not be quite as up there as LOGIC etc., but in general, there isn't that much I can't do with Pro Tools. You may have to think about it a little differently but once you shake off the old programs you've been using, it starts to flow nicely.

There has also been many hints at bigger MIDI upgrades with version 7 but we shall see.

Always remember that Pro Tools was an Audio based program that added MIDI later, where as Logic etc, were MIDI programs that added Audio Later.

Also remember you can still Rewire Ableton and REASON for those extra sound sources. That is program from Pro Tools but us those programs as sound modules.

As far as USB Midi. M-Audio which is owned by DIGIDESIGN has a USB controller keyboard, so check them out or I also use a MIDISPORT 2x2 midi USB interface that also works.

Hope this helps,

All the best,

Big D
3 x WD500gig SATA, 1 x WD1T32mb SATA cache Green
NVIDIA Geforce 7300le,
Command 8,HD2,192,Massive Pack 4
Windows 7 64 bit PTHD 9
Old 04-20-2005, 02:29 AM

Default Re: Using Pro Tools As My Sequencer

Thanks for the info Big D! I have a M-Audio USB/MIDI controller, but I wasn't sure if you could transfer MIDI data through the USB connection. I guess so!

I hope Digidesign offers some cool new MIDI features on version 7, but we'll just have to wait and see. Then Digi could pull even further away from the competition.

I think I'll try to steer away from Reason and Live and just use Pro Tools. I don't like too much clutter.

Peace.

Tone