Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 01-08-2020, 12:03 PM

Default S1 with Artist Mix

Is it possible to use these together?
Old 01-08-2020, 12:04 PM
Avid

Default Re: S1 with Artist Mix

No, sorry. Here are the supported configurations:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Compatibility

best,

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 02-05-2020, 04:57 PM

Just curious why this isn't possible. The S1 and Artist mix are nearly identical functionally. I'd be awesome to at least be able to park some VCA's on an Artist Mix. I got two sitting on the shelf.

Last edited by Lynn Gräber; 02-05-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Gräber View Post
Just curious why this isn't possible. The S1 and Artist mix are nearly identical functionally. I'd be awesome to at least be able to park some VCA's on an Artist Mix. I got two sitting on the shelf.
Agreed. It is terrible that the Artist Mix has been relegated to the Legacy column.

This is the same situation as the Pro Control and Control|24 and the corporation has made their decision.

I own a Dock and 4 Artist Mixes and they work fine (for now).

The old Euphonix/Avid Color still works, but no Artist Mix?

Avid makes money selling new product.

We can start a thread asking for a new $200 "ilok asset" to make our legacy hardware work with the S1, but it's an utter waste of time.

Avid is not a "green" company. My Pro Controls, which sit in this room, are proof.

I saw a 32-channel DControl sell for $2800 with a Xmon, Vesa mouted monitor, Surround panner and all cabling in February.

My take is to ignore the S1 and keep working.

S1 has some bugs and will be selling used for "a lot less than retail" in the coming year.

I'm a Pro Tools fanboy, but not a corporation cheerleader.

If you can afford a S1 now, and it makes sense for your situation, by all means buy one. It's an amazing product.

Myself: I hope that our Artist Mix units will continue to work in the Eucon environment for at least a few more years.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:18 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmacdaddy View Post
Agreed. It is terrible that the Artist Mix has been relegated to the Legacy column.

This is the same situation as the Pro Control and Control|24 and the corporation has made their decision.

I own a Dock and 4 Artist Mixes and they work fine (for now).

The old Euphonix/Avid Color still works, but no Artist Mix?

Avid makes money selling new product.

We can start a thread asking for a new $200 "ilok asset" to make our legacy hardware work with the S1, but it's an utter waste of time.

Avid is not a "green" company. My Pro Controls, which sit in this room, are proof.

I saw a 32-channel DControl sell for $2800 with a Xmon, Vesa mouted monitor, Surround panner and all cabling in February.

My take is to ignore the S1 and keep working.

S1 has some bugs and will be selling used for "a lot less than retail" in the coming year.

I'm a Pro Tools fanboy, but not a corporation cheerleader.

If you can afford a S1 now, and it makes sense for your situation, by all means buy one. It's an amazing product.

Myself: I hope that our Artist Mix units will continue to work in the Eucon environment for at least a few more years.
The Artist Mix (11 years old now) is still supported and is nothing like the Control 24/Pro Control. But they both had over 5 years after the end of sale before we stopped working on the software for them. The Artist Mix still has at least 4.5 years left of being supported. We only just added VCA spill to the Artist Mix and Folder tracks will soon follow,

If any company were to continue spending $$$ developing free software for years after a product has finished, they wouldn't last very long. I'd love to see an iPhone or iPad still getting FREE software updates 11 years after launch.

There are many reasons why we can't just add S1 to the Mix. It would take many months of development that would take away from new features and bug fixing. It would add to the testing and bug fixing matrix for all future releases too, which is already ridiculously large. So in turn make future products less attractive and yes we wouldn't make as much money(which mostly goes back into development) Lynn can now see how this is, being a new beta tester and how much time and effort goes into getting a release out.

As for the S1 selling for less soon. Nope, its a great product with many additional features over the Mix. Its also priced lower than the Mix used to be ($1495 in 2010)
Old 04-25-2020, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
The Artist Mix still has at least 4.5 years left of being supported.

You just made my day, awesome!
I recently picked up an used Artist Mix in very good condition for 700 bucks. Didn't work well in Reaper, so I demoed Pro Tools and bought it just because of the VCA spill feature. I can't explain how insanely good this feature is, the only thing that would be even better is folder spilling. I'm so glad that this is coming to the Artist Mix! Hah, peace of mind :)

Edit: The reason I went for an Artist Mix and not the S1 wasn't necessarily the price tag, but the form factor. The AM's size is just perfect.