Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2012, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Stand alone editor? What.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
Really, you have worded that incorrectly. It is not free and never has been free! What you should've said is that the update has been released and is free for current Reason users - of which I am not one of them.

So I would have to pony up $449 US. And I'll probably need the essentials pack as well so I can use some decent stuff so that will set me back approx $579 US. I then I would need a proper drum plug-in as well, never using default drum plugs with a DAW ever again ... and oh look, it'll be about the same or more as a new version of ProTools X. The giant will fall is a tad premature.

And I am not a lover of the way Avid works not by a long shot!

And this new plug-in paradigm, hmmm, sounds like a way for Propellerhead to make more money - hmmm, reminds me a certain other company.
They had a 169$ update to 6 from any version. It was a good deal. I will say reason is one of the most stable apps I have ever used. I do not like their new dongle copy protection. I would have preferred an ilok.

Bringing up drum kits is interesting w reason. They have never had a good selection but the "reason drum kits refill" did sound good. Using your own samples was kind of a bear if you wanted complex and real sounding kits. Never liked it beyond demos for rock/metal. Will be curious about some drum plugin (rack extension) alternatives, none yet that I see. Hopefully they can hold on to their stability with allowing outside vendors inside their pretty little code!

As I stated earlier though, tracking, editing, and mixing a real band in this software would be about Impossible. It is a great v.i. Writing, and demo software IMO.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-16-2012, 02:08 PM

Just a few comments having read through this thread. I have so many project in PT switching probably really isn’t an option for me and since I spend a lot of time in PT it is actually handy to have the editor/PT integration all baked in. I can see that for those not doing a lot of recording or just thinking they bought a cool new guitar product that having to rely on firing up PT is really not acceptable since it IS a HOG and takes forever to load. I can just imagine how frustrating that must be if you are already using another DAW and want to use a GUI editor and have to fire up PT as well…. Ugh!

My frustration is going to be when this current computer dies… you see, I dual boot into Windows XP and I still use PT 8.0.5 and it is just so reliable and fast and it does everything that I need to do, I love it. I have a disk image of that partition BUT when this computer dies and I can’t buy a new one that runs XP THEN I am going to have to shell out $500 ish to just upgrade PT. (I tried 8.0.5 on Win 7 and it seemed pretty sluggish…. ) That is when I will have to re-eval things and actually, I might just go to Mac and if I do that, I hear Logic Pro is irresistible. Hhhhmmm. If the PT upgrade was a more reasonable say, $200 well then I would likely just do that but, hey, this is a hobby for me and if I make another big investment, it needs to be pretty long term and short term investment/upgrades can not be $500! No way.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnsman1 View Post
Just a few comments having read through this thread. I have so many project in PT switching probably really isn’t an option for me and since I spend a lot of time in PT it is actually handy to have the editor/PT integration all baked in. I can see that for those not doing a lot of recording or just thinking they bought a cool new guitar product that having to rely on firing up PT is really not acceptable since it IS a HOG and takes forever to load. I can just imagine how frustrating that must be if you are already using another DAW and want to use a GUI editor and have to fire up PT as well…. Ugh!

My frustration is going to be when this current computer dies… you see, I dual boot into Windows XP and I still use PT 8.0.5 and it is just so reliable and fast and it does everything that I need to do, I love it. I have a disk image of that partition BUT when this computer dies and I can’t buy a new one that runs XP THEN I am going to have to shell out $500 ish to just upgrade PT. (I tried 8.0.5 on Win 7 and it seemed pretty sluggish…. ) That is when I will have to re-eval things and actually, I might just go to Mac and if I do that, I hear Logic Pro is irresistible. Hhhhmmm. If the PT upgrade was a more reasonable say, $200 well then I would likely just do that but, hey, this is a hobby for me and if I make another big investment, it needs to be pretty long term and short term investment/upgrades can not be $500! No way.
if you are going to possibly balk at a 200$ difference between pro tools (upgrade le to 10 for 400$) and logic, i would guess you are going to balk at a 1500$ to 2000$ difference between a pc and a mac.... just sayin.... part of my giggles when people threaten to leave the 11r for axe fx or kemper (which is still in beta and no pc editor). they are both over double the price (axe fx almost 3x's) and i think if most people could easily do it, the would have done it in the first place.

i seriously have not used logic since V4 when it was still owned by emagic. we used to use it for all our midi production as pro tools was HORRIBLE at that time for any midi production. really it was BAD up till v8.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-16-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
if you are going to possibly balk at a 200$ difference between pro tools (upgrade le to 10 for 400$) and logic, i would guess you are going to balk at a 1500$ to 2000$ difference between a pc and a mac.... just sayin.... part of my giggles when people threaten to leave the 11r for axe fx or kemper (which is still in beta and no pc editor). they are both over double the price (axe fx almost 3x's) and i think if most people could easily do it, the would have done it in the first place.

i seriously have not used logic since V4 when it was still owned by emagic. we used to use it for all our midi production as pro tools was HORRIBLE at that time for any midi production. really it was BAD up till v8.
Good points Guitardom! I have other reasons for thinking of going Mac other than music. I am a programmer as well and would like to dabble in the iPad/iPhone scene a bit with some ideas I have. I am just kind of thinking out loud. Actually, I am a very, very happy 11R/PT user but I can see other people's frustrations for sure and like I said, when the time comes and I drop a couple of grand on something, it will be wise to think it through then is all. Avid might actually get more cash out of me by doing affordable incremental upgrades is really one of my main points.

BTW, a friend of mine who owns a studio which is a PT shop started to recently do a few projects in Logic Pro and he just says it is way, way better and he is thinking of making a big switch. He says he is much more productive. That's all I know about that one!
Old 06-17-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnsman1 View Post
Good points Guitardom! I have other reasons for thinking of going Mac other than music. I am a programmer as well and would like to dabble in the iPad/iPhone scene a bit with some ideas I have. I am just kind of thinking out loud. Actually, I am a very, very happy 11R/PT user but I can see other people's frustrations for sure and like I said, when the time comes and I drop a couple of grand on something, it will be wise to think it through then is all. Avid might actually get more cash out of me by doing affordable incremental upgrades is really one of my main points.

BTW, a friend of mine who owns a studio which is a PT shop started to recently do a few projects in Logic Pro and he just says it is way, way better and he is thinking of making a big switch. He says he is much more productive. That's all I know about that one!
I run both platforms and haves preferences for each. I have a MacBook and is by far the nicest laptop I have ever owned, and I have had a bunch of them. I do have it bootcamped w windows as well.

Then my daw is an i7 pc which I built for about a grand using all the parts I could from my previous build. It was a no brainier when comparing cost of a comparable Mac pro which was pushing closer to 4k. I have no urge or care to go to Mac. In reality I have far more control of my pc for oc'ing and part changes than the Mac could ever dream about. I spent my first 5 years of working on pt in professional environments on macs before I ever tried it on a pc and realized I could easily crash them both, so it made no difference!!

I have been on pt since 2001 and only used other daws as supplementary needs. I could not fathom trying to change. I can sprint through pt at 110 mph when tracking, editing, and such. My mind goes on idle using it and I can focus on the band, tones, mics, and that is what's most important. I have used other daws and I get upset they don't function like pt!!

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-18-2012, 07:56 AM

The only reason I bring up Reason is because it has Line6 built into it and you can edit it easily, you can have Pod Farm open and make a tone you like save it as a preset into Reason. It's all about making things easy and efficient also there is the Line6 Shortboard controllers that are awesome when hooked up to Reason.

I love the 11R but I am very limited when it comes to editing, sure you can edit on the rack but it is not easy and we non PT users should have the same editing ability...it's just wrong that we don't.

I say the "Giant will fall" as it's a hope of mine because AVID puts us the customer second over and over again. Too much music was made long before PT and there are tons of DAW's. All I want from them is a standalone editor for my 11R.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 AM

It's AVID. When you want something done you train a Chimp to do it.

Well, I thought it was funny.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:03 AM

OK the truth is I tend to record my tweaking to see how close I am so opening PT has become a habit.

I DON'T have a problem opening PT other than the 5 min it takes to boot.
Would I use the editor? If it was free, yes. I'm not going to pay $99 for something I already have and paid for.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspaulsp View Post
It's AVID. When you want something done you train a Chimp to do it.
As long as they don't pay peanuts, or they'll get monkeys

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 06-18-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microstudio View Post
The only reason I bring up Reason is because it has Line6 built into it and you can edit it easily, you can have Pod Farm open and make a tone you like save it as a preset into Reason. It's all about making things easy and efficient also there is the Line6 Shortboard controllers that are awesome when hooked up to Reason.

I love the 11R but I am very limited when it comes to editing, sure you can edit on the rack but it is not easy and we non PT users should have the same editing ability...it's just wrong that we don't.

I say the "Giant will fall" as it's a hope of mine because AVID puts us the customer second over and over again. Too much music was made long before PT and there are tons of DAW's. All I want from them is a standalone editor for my 11R.
Pod farm can do the same thing in pro tools. Of course so can eleven, native instruments guitar rig, waves guitar, and more....... They all have standalone versions (11 hardware) and can be saved to use rtas version in PT.

you say your not a user but know they "put their customer second time and time again"???? You would need to be a user to know this, yes??

Wanting a company to fail because you don't have something you need is pretty egotistical. Forgoing what audio software and video editing software almost every movie and television show you watch is cut with, the majority of every album you have bought since 2000, and the unknown number of us who make money and our living with this software, just cause you don't have something.....

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10