Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 02-20-2010, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Really upset with maudio/avid company

Let's take out the blame game now...

It doesn't negate the fact that you are using UNSUPPORTED SOFTWARE. Regardless of who is at fault... you are using a system that is not qualified to work, and are expecting to. That's no fault of any corporation. As I said, I have zero problems with any of my systems, and that's because I wouldn't dare use brand new/unsupported software and expect it to just work. I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand.

It's like putting diesel in a car that runs on gasoline... it's not designed to work that way. You can blame the gas companies or the car companies... but it doesn't negate the fact that you are trying to use one thing that isn't designed to work with the other.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 02-20-2010, 11:07 AM

I don't know why you keep saying that Windows is the Unsupported software for protools,
when Protools is just a software and not an Operating system.
The foundation of the system is Windows.

So again I say,
You have it backwards.
Microsoft is not suppose to follow AVID.

Its AVID that is suppose to follow Microsoft.

Because protools gets installed within Windows and not the other way around...
Protools is not the cream of the crop here, its Windows.
And AVID has to keep up with the Windows Operating System.
because Windows is the foundation of the system, not protools.

So again you have it backwards.

And it was working before on the same OS, until AVID told me to update the driver for FW410 to v6
then all this crap happened.
and I can't revert back without having to reformat.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelabs View Post
I don't know why you keep saying that Windows is the Unsupported software for protools,
when Protools is just a software and not an Operating system.
The foundation of the system is Windows.

So again I say,
You have it backwards.
Microsoft is not suppose to follow AVID.

Its AVID that is suppose to follow Microsoft.

Because protools gets installed within Windows and not the other way around...
Protools is not the cream of the crop here, its Windows.
And AVID has to keep up with the Windows Operating System.
because Windows is the foundation of the system, not protools.

So again you have it backwards.

So... I guess that means you didn't read my last post at all...

D

Old 02-20-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Plenty of other DAWs have plenty of their own problems. For instance, if a DAW will supposedly work with "any" interface... this raises a new kind of issue. What happens when an interface doesn't work? "OMG, WHY DOESN'T THIS INTERFACE WORK?? (x company) IS SUCH DRIVEL FOR NOT MAKING GOOD ENOUGH DRIVERS TO JUST WORK WITH EVERYTHING!"
Not to say there aren't people with those problems but I have never had that problem. I've also have heard more people with less problems using those kind of interfaces.

Quote:
Also, saying there are "so many problems" based on what you read in this forums is pretty much like saying, "Wow, there is a lot of water in that well!" These are support forums, so most of what you read here are going to be issues people are having. It's pretty rare that someone makes a thread saying "My system works perfectly with no problems whatsoever!"
That's not like saying that at all. Acourse people will have problems that goes without saying. Acourse problems will be user problems. I'm saying look around at all the technical stuff on the forums that are not user related. They state that there are less problems when they link their hardware and software but that is straight BS. And i'm not talking about Win 7 I'm talking in general.

Quote:
I have personally never encountered a Pro Tools related BSOD. Not once. Now, I don't use M-Powered, I run LE... but that doesn't change the fact that I have never had a fatal crash due to a Pro Tools related driver. In my experience, 95% of problems anyone ever has with DAWs in general are user-related. It's not to say 95% of users are incompetent either, I've certainly had my own share of user-related problems... but until I sus out exactly what the problem is, I rarely jump the blame to the manufacturer.
As i can agree on user-related problems this with me is not. Why would i get a BSOD when not even touching my computer. Ridiculous. This is with M-Audio products and if you read the M-Audio forums you will see that this is the #1 issue with M-Audio drivers. NOT user-related but bad driver writing. Again, I am not referring to Win 7.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatzer View Post
Not to say there aren't people with those problems but I have never had that problem. I've also have heard more people with less problems using those kind of interfaces.

That's not like saying that at all. Acourse people will have problems that goes without saying. Acourse problems will be user problems. I'm saying look around at all the technical stuff on the forums that are not user related. They state that there are less problems when they link their hardware and software but that is straight BS. And i'm not talking about Win 7 I'm talking in general.

As i can agree on user-related problems this with me is not. Why would i get a BSOD when not even touching my computer. Ridiculous. This is with M-Audio products and if you read the M-Audio forums you will see that this is the #1 issue with M-Audio drivers. NOT user-related but bad driver writing. Again, I am not referring to Win 7.

Thank you, Shatzer. You have provided a relevant, logical and rational argument. Again, I don't have much personal experience with M-Audio, since I use LE... and I moved away from Windows because I found more problems in general, not related to audio itself. I do feel empathy for those who are experiencing real issues... I just refuse to accept when someone blames any company for problems that are largely their own fault.

I have considered setting up an M-Powered system with the 2626, since I've heard many good things about it... but if there really are that many driver issues... I'll stick with what works.

D

Old 02-20-2010, 11:49 AM

Dont get me wrong, I love my 2626, the pres and converters are quite good, better than the 003 stuff in my opinion. I would definately agree (although its hard since i love PCs better) that MAC is the way to go when using a Pro Tools system. The only thing with that is you pay out your ass for stability. I can build a PC for $1500 and the equivelant of MAC would be nearly $5500 for the same specs. But, you get what you pay for i guess. Also, you can always use the 2626 in standalone mode acting as extra pres into your LE sytem. (so you dont have to use the drivers)
Old 02-20-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
then all this crap happened.
and I can't revert back without having to reformat.

I have learned the hard way that any change to a system should be preceded with a full system image or clone of the system drive. This policy has been good for me time and time again and I hardily recommend it to all.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-20-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
M-Audio can never get their products work right,
and everything they sell is garbage.
nothing but problems with m-audio products and I regret even buying anything from them.
I know you were at your maddest when you wrote that, but that part of what you wrote is garbage.

I was extremely mad myself when I read this part of your post because you're lashing out on the one part of your DAW that is the most reliable - and in a later post you mentioned that before the update everything was working fine, yet I don't think you've explained why you wanted to update!

I've been using M-Audio devices for over 10 years and they have always been perfect - so please, don't lash out at just every company.

The number of existing problems with LE versus the number of problems with M-Powered pretty much proves that the M-Audio devices that M-Powered is designed to use are currently more reliable than those for LE - let alone the fact that, with Windows 7, M-Powered/M-Audio drivers are fully Windows 7 supported.

The immediate response to your post is I think the best - reformat and reinstall everything - in the proper order.

Again, I know you were mad at the time, but please try to get some answers from us here who are here to help you, before going off at everyone.

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:

This is what I find confusing. If I was running Snow Leopard right now, or Win7, and I was having problems... I wouldn't be considering that it is Digidesign's or Avid's fault... but my own, for using a brand new/unsupported system.

My main system is on OSX 10.5.8 which has been supported for many months... and my backup system is WinXP SP2. No crashes, no problems. No x64 OS has ever been supported by Digidesign, and testing for it is still in beta.
Just for the record, Snow Leopard is officially supported.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caruso7r View Post
Just for the record, Snow Leopard is officially supported.
I know it's officially supported, but it's still very new, and still has a fair number issues that detract me from upgrading at this point. I try to steer clear of new OSX builds until at least the .3. 10.6.2 is currently the latest build.

D