How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2014, 06:27 AM

Default PT11 installed but no sound

Hi there

Previously used PT Fastrack on my laptop but have now upgraded to iMac and PT11 and have been left feeling as if I've never used a computer before - everything is familiar but very different!

I think i've downloaded everything correctly but tbh I'm not 100% sure as i cannot find anything to tell me you should have this, this and this to tick off against.

But that aside, my main issue at the moment is i cannot get PT/iMAc to make any sound come out through my monitors or even the headphones. On my laptop I just plugged in and off we went, but clearly I need to do something more to route the sound through the interface. Currently everything is coming out of the internal speakers. I've looked at various settings but it makes no difference and frankly I don't know what i"m doing anyway. I've Googled and searched on here but aside from picking up on a possible bug it's not really helped. Plus I'm fairly certain the problem is me not a bug.

Can someone list what i should be doing/check for please? Please bear in mind that I'm currently in the bottom class knowledge wise as I get to grips with a whole new way of doing things.

Thank you
Old 04-13-2014, 09:02 AM

Default Re: PT11 installed but no sound

Hi

Two things to try:

1. Hold down the "N"N key when launching Pro Tools and choose the interface when the window pops up with your options.

2. When you have PT up after choosing the interface goto - Settings - i/o - there press "default" on every tab, In Out Aux etc and see if this helps

Best of luck
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-13-2014, 10:51 AM

Thanks Chris. I feel really stupid but i cannot find 'default' for anything other than the clock in Audio Devices is set to it when I follow your tips. If it helps here's what I see/saw following your suggestions:

Playback Engine
Pro Tools Aggregate I/O (which it is on)

Other options are:
Built in mic
Built in output
Multi output device

Elsewhere in the PB Engine

H/W Buffer Size is set to 256 Samples
Ignore errors is ticked
Dynamic Plug-in Processing is ticked
Video Engine is unticked

In Audio Devices window I see the following:

Built in Microphone
Built in Output
Pro Tools Aggregate I/O
Multi Output Device

I have highlighted all of the above Devices at different times but to no avail.

There is also an option to 'Configure Speakers in Audio Devices which i've looked at but not sure what it means.

What's most annoying is when I boot up PT the interface lights up as the monitors pop into life, proving they work but that's my lot! Really frustrating.

If any of the above means anything if you could let me know, or someone else, that wold be great. I've been trying to figure this out on and off all weekend and it's beginning to turn me a bit loopy now.

Thanks again

__________________________________________________ ________
iMAc

Processor 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB
Software OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)

Protools & kit

PT11
MBox Pro 3
KRK Rokit5
Old 04-13-2014, 11:18 AM

Hi

The Setting folder is up top beside the option etc and under the settings you will find i/o option, there you have the i/o settings where you have the routing of in out aux and so on. Bottom left in the first screen there you will se an option for Default settings.

Regarding your interface it should be in the list you posted with built in and pro tools aggregate but if you don't see your interface there you haven't installed it properly with the correct driver.

Here are the drivers page and you have to navigate using the icons to Mbox3 pro drivers and install them, after they are installed, you can goto i/o settings and do the default options, no reason to do that until you see the Mbox in the list of audio options.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nload/en379411

The srivers for your Mbox 3 Pro should be in this document

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...ox-Pro-Drivers

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-13-2014, 12:02 PM

Thanks, again Chris.

I now have drivers (which I thought I had, but hadn't installed). I also have a MAudio icon to launch however it appears PT and interface still can't see each other.

In I/O settings, on the Input tab, Default is greyed out. It stays greyed out whether I tick or untick Built in Microphone. I have left it ticked as that's what it was when I originally opened it.

However in the Output tab I can see Default and have clicked on it.

In Audio devices I can now see the MBox and have selected it. I have also tried to configure the speakers but nothing.

This is so frustrating and I'm hating feeling so baffled.

Any other thoughts Chris?
Old 04-13-2014, 12:12 PM

Hey

Sorry to hear that, The issue is we never had any Mbox or Maudio products so this isn't really my wheelhouse. Of I start guessing and screw up your system, who knows what can come of that so better someone else jumps in who knows these products better than I do. If you wait a few hours until the US geniuses log on they might be able to help you better.

What happens when you start PT with the N key held down? Can you choose the Mbox as interface and if so, does that help if you choose that when asked to choose interface?

Also, you mentioned the M audio icon? What is that? You can't have 2 interfaces installed and working at the same time. The Mbox 3 Pro driver should say Avid and not maudio but that is over my head with this setup. We have always worked with HD systems but I think you should only have the Mbox installed for this to function. The driver version should be 1.3.1 for Mavericks 10.9 and up.

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-13-2014, 12:12 PM

update: have sound in earphones - at last! now i just need to get the monitors to play nicely too...
Old 04-13-2014, 12:14 PM

Which interface are you using? You mentioned FTP in your first post and in your Sig it says MBox 3 Pro?

Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-13-2014, 12:18 PM

you've been brilliant chris - thank you - i'm further along than i was and i'm super grateful.

i'm gonna stand down for the evening now before i lose the plot entirely! at least the earphones are working, which is a step in the right direction, but i really want to get the monitors playing ball too. however the continuation of that battle will have to be resumed tomorrow.

enjoy the rest of your sunday and thanks again.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:07 AM

hello chris. i'm using MB3 - fast track was on my lappy which i've now upgraded to the iMac, MB3 and KRK 5's from. i didn't use monitors on the laptop. when ever i wanted to play out load and plugged it straight into the amp on my hi fi.

in response to your other question when i open PT with 'n' held down it opens the playback engine. the MB3 is in there and selected.

the option to change everything to default in I/O is finally an option and actioned. however still only have sound in earphones.

i know this is going to be something really simple when i's finally cracked.

cheers

adam
__________________________________________________ ________________
iMac

Processor 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB
Software OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)

Protools & kit

PT11
MBox Pro 3
KRK Rokit5