How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 06-17-2015, 10:53 AM

Default Re: So what's REALLy going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I'm talking routing INSIDE the plugin and using the fx that are in Kontakt. Apparently you've not dealt too deep into Kontakt to see what's available in there. For instance Kontakt has a convolution reverb that's very light on the cpu. Sure Play has a reverb but you can't use your own ir's.

Back to my point and that is the Play engine is nowheres near as flexible as Kontakt. Can't fly in your own samples in Play. Third party developers for Play? I don't think there are any.
Okay, I see what you mean now. First of all, I haven't dealt too deeply into Kontakt because I don't have it! While I know its a great VI with multiple sample libraries, in the end, I decided I wanted to invest my funds in other things more suited to my needs. The features you describe are nice to have I'm sure, but from my perspective are not deal breakers as they aren't what I was looking for to begin with. 99% of the time I prefer to pass on the built in fx and route the audio out to a PT track and use other fx. Gives more options and more control, in my view. So I don't see the lack of that feature in Play as a negative as I'd hardly use it anyway. Heck, I can do a lot of that with Reason and all their FX in their rack...even so I usually don't, except for a couple of their special fx units.

But that's just me and how I prefer to work.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Okay, I see what you mean now. First of all, I haven't dealt too deeply into Kontakt because I don't have it! While I know its a great VI with multiple sample libraries, in the end, I decided I wanted to invest my funds in other things more suited to my needs. The features you describe are nice to have I'm sure, but from my perspective are not deal breakers as they aren't what I was looking for to begin with. 99% of the time I prefer to pass on the built in fx and route the audio out to a PT track and use other fx. Gives more options and more control, in my view. So I don't see the lack of that feature in Play as a negative as I'd hardly use it anyway. Heck, I can do a lot of that with Reason and all their FX in their rack...even so I usually don't, except for a couple of their special fx units.

But that's just me and how I prefer to work.
No problem; thought you had Kontakt.

Anyway I started out with Kontakt years ago when it first came out and I've learned to do quite a bit in it. Not as good as some of the people over on the NI forums that are script gurus but not too shabby. Like anything one can get as deep with it as one wants.

To each their own and whatever works best for you.

QAPLA!
Old 06-17-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
No problem; thought you had Kontakt.

Anyway I started out with Kontakt years ago when it first came out and I've learned to do quite a bit in it. Not as good as some of the people over on the NI forums that are script gurus but not too shabby. Like anything one can get as deep with it as one wants.

To each their own and whatever works best for you.
Exactly! Who knows, some day I might decide to go ahead and add Kontakt. But at this point, I don't see what it adds given all the other stuff I'm fortunate enough to have. Sometimes I think we've got TOO many options!

Old 06-17-2015, 04:22 PM

Default Re: EastWest subscription

I'll say right here and right now I spent a fortune on EWQL PLAY And on AVID PTHD11 ...

NOT WORTH IT!

Just not worth it. Too many incompatibilities and problems. Never ever worked.
Complete waste of capital. Go cubase and kontact or something- just forget about PT11HD and PLAY.

Pro Tools 11 HD, 64Gb ram, 12tb SSD, 1909
HD Omni/Thunderbolt Native
A bucketload of libraries
www.Reverbnation.com/jedediahjenk
www.soundcloud.com/jedediahjenk
notedmusic.wix.com/jedediahjenk
Old 06-17-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notedmusic View Post
I'll say right here and right now I spent a fortune on EWQL PLAY And on AVID PTHD11 ...

NOT WORTH IT!

Just not worth it. Too many incompatibilities and problems. Never ever worked.
Complete waste of capital. Go cubase and kontact or something- just forget about PT11HD and PLAY.
Are you by any chance running the latest version of Play? I know the last two versions have had major problems. I'm sticking with Play 4.2.2.

QAPLA!
Old 06-30-2015, 02:28 PM

I see this as a VSL/EW discussion, but have both and am jazzed by Berlins new CAPSULE using Konakt!! WOW,,, so cool. Just getting into it so not really capable of commenting on it. Also out of town for a few so will be hitting hard in a few days!
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 07-01-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianosound View Post
I see this as a VSL/EW discussion, but have both and am jazzed by Berlins new CAPSULE using Kontakt!! WOW,,, so cool. Just getting into it so not really capable of commenting on it. Also out of town for a few so will be hitting hard in a few days!
What is 'Berlins new CAPSULE using Kontakt'?

QAPLA!
Old 07-01-2015, 06:00 PM

Check out 'Orchestral Tools' and their Berlin series. CAPSULE,,,(control and performance symphonic utility engine). Its a new way to morph from one articulation to another, and a whole lot more! Really pretty cool! As I mentioned,, I'm still yet to get into it very deep, but hope to the next few days.

Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 07-02-2015, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianosound View Post
Check out 'Orchestral Tools' and their Berlin series. CAPSULE,,,(control and performance symphonic utility engine). Its a new way to morph from one articulation to another, and a whole lot more! Really pretty cool! As I mentioned,, I'm still yet to get into it very deep, but hope to the next few days.

Mike
Nice but expensive; Berlin strings alone is 840 euros.

Here's the link to their main site:
http://www.orchestraltools.com/

QAPLA!
Old 07-04-2015, 02:29 PM

True, but not so bad compared to VSL. I use Hollywood strings & brass, (and some VSL) but wanted to try the Berlin series, so got the Woodwinds, $400- $500. Really,, really nice!!