Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 02-19-2019, 03:22 PM

Default Post-It notes for Pro Tools?

I can't imagine it even would be possible, but are there any third-party programs or other creative ways to create the equivalent of Post-It notes in the Pro Tools Edit window?

I find Markers too limiting for sessions with many tracks and so I usually create blank yellow audio regions with titles that are instructional. It would be great to have something more capable.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Post-It notes for Pro Tools?

There is already a notes region. Just make it visible. It comes up before the inserts.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:28 PM

Yes, thanks, but I mean something where you can position and point to certain clips in a busy edit window with a floating or attached note.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:37 PM

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MNotepad

https://non-lethal-applications.com/products/snapshot

both can do notes

addressing certain clips and positions, I don't think Pro Tools has a hook other developers can use for that.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:47 PM

Thanks. Snapshot is good for capturing outboard gear settings with a pic, but tough to get anything that points to specific clips in the edit window.

This is pretty close:

http://www.protoolsisawesome.com/?p=628
Old 02-19-2019, 03:58 PM

Just tried it, and it's actually very close to what I'm looking for. Limited amount of text, but the Clip Group idea is great:
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 3.55.06 PM.png (16.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-19-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
Just tried it, and it's actually very close to what I'm looking for. Limited amount of text, but the Clip Group idea is great:

Cool idea.

Playing with it - you can add as much text as you like - just need to resize the clip to display as much of the information as you want...

Also - if you want to have a "Post-It" note effect - just create a track above or below the track you are working - create the memo in that track at the location you are directing the information... You can then minimize the track...

If you select the color palette - select "Clips In Tracks" - you can then color your notes as well - so they stand out a bit if you minimize the track they are on...

Just some thoughts...

Sparky
Old 02-19-2019, 10:17 PM

You wouldn’t be able to use this technique if you were working with stems or unedited multi tracks though as there would be no free space on the timeline.

Also, I’m guessing it would be almost unreadable if you had a long session and had it scaled to fit the screen.

Your original suggestion for a sticky notes type of floating window is actually pretty good. I’d never thought of that before, but can see how it could be very handy, especially if sending sessions to other people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2019, 07:10 AM

A workaround would be to use Markers, name them appropriately, use the Comments section of the Marker Dialogue for your notes and keep the floating Markers Window open. Then you can either go to the Marker or open the Edit dialogue for the Marker and see your comments. Not sure how efficient this would be, just a suggestion.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-20-2019, 08:49 AM

Just a quick note; you don't need to create actual audio regions (using up space), you can just select an area on a blank track and create a clip group, then put whatever notes you want in it (subject to character length limit). I use it all the time for lyrics in the timeline.

That said, I've often wished for exactly the feature you're talking about; sticky notes on the session that anyone will see on opening on their machine without additional plugs/apps/etc.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6