Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2021, 04:16 PM

Default Can't get Pro Tools 30 day trial to activate

I'm trying to do the free 30 day trial. Can't get it to activate. I was just going to go buy it since you can pay by the month. But then I see (it looks like) that I'm commiting to a year of payments if I do that. Not good, because I just need to make sure it works on my computer before I commit to a year. Anyway, I was able to download it and install the software. When I start it up it asks me to activate it or quit. I click activate and log into my license account. No problem. But then I get the message, "You don't have any licenses in your account, or none of the licenses there have activations available. So what is my problem? I do have an ilok account with lots of licenses but it's for products that are quite old now. I also have an old ilok USB device but it just says "003 Factory" on it. I don't know if it has anything to do with what I'm trying to do now. I stepped away from Pro Tools for a number of years and now am trying to get back into it.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Can't get Pro Tools 30 day trial to activate

There are two kind of subscriptions available.

1) commit monthly, pay monthly (more expensive)
2) commit yearly, pay monthly (less expensive)

If you only need month here and there, the more expensive subscription may become cheaper yearly. But if you need to use PT all the time, commit yearly gives you discount.

I am not expert on licensing, but I think there may also be option to commit yearly and pay yearly (upfront) for even greater savings. Call your dealer to find out.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:03 PM

You need to have an ilok2 key to use Pro Tools from version 10 and up.

The older green keyshaped ilok wont work for any PT version above PT11.

So if you only have that old green key shaped ilok you need to buy the newer ilok2 or ilok3.

Also have you checkdd under available licenses in thr ilok account as Avid doesn’t put the license on your key?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-10-2021, 05:09 PM

Oh yea, and you would do yourself a great favor by upgrading to ilok3 as it is very sturdy. Those original keys broke every half a year, lost count how many I have scrapped. Even ilok2 is huge step up, but the metal ilok3 is finally reliable