Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 03-12-2014, 02:08 PM

Default Guitar Pro/EZDKFH/ProTools Questions

Hello, I'm curious if anyone here is writing drum parts in GuitarPro and exporting the midi into ProTools for use with EZ Drummer or EZ DKFH?

My current issue is that I've gotten most of my basic track already fleshed out using and editing/trimming midi from EZ Pop/Rock and EZ DKFH.. but I've got some bars where I need to write specific fills or hits.. so for this I figured it was possible to just export midi from GP6 and drag it from my MacBook Pro's desktop into my PT session..
I tried this, dropped the two bars right into the gaps left in my midi measures in PT.. and it played.. but not in time?..
another detail to mention is that this particular track starts @ 82bpm.. but these end sections are double timed.. @ 164bpm.. for the midi blocks from EZ, I simply hit the 2X toggle on the EZ window and then dropped and dragged those.. no brainer..
1. Is there any thing special I need to do to the exported midi from GP6 before I drag and drop into PT?
2.) Do I need to make a separate track for these or am I on the right path simply dropping these into the gaps/bar I left open in my midi track in the PT session?
3.) Do I need to indicate a bpm of 164 on my drum part as I'm writing it in GP or will it lock in with the tempo of the rest of the midi I already have?
I did search here and a few places and found some nice video tutorials but none that address this that I could find.
4.) I also wanted to mention that when I did do the drop and drag into PT from my desktop, I got a window that said another device was changing the bit rate.. I've seen a few tutorials suggest lower the bit rate of the playback engine for tracking and raising it back up for mixing and adding effects/plugins.. any advice here?..
My setup is Avid ElevenRack.. MacBook Pro.. ProTools 8LE and EZ/DKFH.

If there's anyone writing their parts out in this manner, I'd greatly appreciate any and all advice or help.. thank you so very much for your time and consideration in advance.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Guitar Pro/EZDKFH/ProTools Questions

1-don't know this one

2-when using a plugin instrument, you can simply use a stereo INSTRUMENT track and insert the plugin instrument in slot A(you also can copy or drag midi from a midi track onto an instrument track).

3-midi should conform to the session tempo automatically

4-I think you are mis-reading the message. Bit rate refers to the session bit rate(usually 16 or 24). What you raise or lower for tracking or mixing is Playback Buffer. A low setting(64 or 128) will have very low latency so you don't hear a delay in headphones while recording. A high setting(like 1024) will give the computer more time to process everything(less strain on the cpu) but will have a lot of latency if you tried to record something at that buffer setting. If you have a very powerful computer, you might be able to leave the buffer at 64 all the time(but certain plugins which needs lots of cpu could cause stopping of playback). As an example, I can run my rig at the 64 buffer most of the time, but if I try to use Melodyne, I have to change the buffer to 1024 or playback will stall too often.

BTW, you don't need to refer to DKFH as the fact that you use EZdrummer, really covers that plugin, regardless of which or how many expansion packs you have installed I've never attempted to do drum midi in any other program and then import into PT as its easier(to me anyway) to do it all in Pro Tools on a stereo Instrument track by using GRID mode and dragging loops from EZD onto the track(select Notes view on the track). Once the basic drum performance is roughed in, you can feel free to edit the midi as needed. You could also play in the patterns with any midi keyboard or trigger interface(M-Audio Trigger Finger, etc). One handy trick if you use something like the Trigger FInger; if you set a page of pad assignments so that you have snare and each tom assigned to a pair of pads, you can tap in much better fills than trying to tap each drum sound on a single pad

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave