Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 02-25-2020, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Protools could be called "CrashTools"

So if you think only thing that has changed was opening some old session and you suspect that caused the crashes, why wouldn't you try to trash preferences, create new fresh session and then try to reopen? Hard to say what has changed between working and crashing, you need to figure it out yourself. Or reinstall from OS to everything.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
So if you think only thing that has changed was opening some old session and you suspect that caused the crashes, why wouldn't you try to trash preferences, create new fresh session and then try to reopen? Hard to say what has changed between working and crashing, you need to figure it out yourself. Or reinstall from OS to everything.
Well I trashed preferences and reinstalled and now I got several problems. ilok cant find some plugins and Ozone doesn't work!! Oh yeah and....IT STILL CRASHES! So congratulations, you really stuffed things up for me.

For those reading this DONT trash preferences, this guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Now I've got 3 problems instead of one to figure out. Looks like the mastering deadline is out of the question now!
WD Black SATA 7200
ASUS SABERTOOTH X79
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Mbox3 Pro Firewire 400
ProTools 10.3.8
ProTools 11.3.1

https://soundcloud.com/matthewcrowe
Old 02-25-2020, 09:32 PM

Trashing PT preferences has absolutely nothing to do with iLok licenses. But it forces PT to rebuild plugin cache on next start, so it revealed you may have a problem with your iLok.

Open your iLok license manager and see if none of your licenses have expired. Synchronize the key just to be sure, then try PT again.

These are all pretty basic things you need to know. PT and iLok licenses require some know how to use them.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:22 AM

Not only does Janne know what he's talking about, trashing Preferences is a normal troubleshooting procedure.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 02-26-2020, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinh View Post
For those reading this DONT trash preferences, this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
Regardless of what issues you may be having with your system, you are wrong about that.
On so many levels!
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:00 AM

Trashing Preferences is one of the first steps when troubleshooting an issue. If doing so has exacerbated problems, and you feel you were better off before, simply go back to last drive image you made before trashing them.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-26-2020, 02:18 PM

FWIW, I have been running Pro Tools Ultimate on an Asus Sabertooth X79 system for a full year without a single crash. I have trashed prefs(both the manual way and with guitardom's Trasher utility) several times and its never once caused an issue with iLok. Tough to say why you are having issues, but its fairly easy to say what isn't

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-26-2020, 03:24 PM

Most probable reason is some plugin that behaves badly. Either because of licensing, or because of too old version due to some other update on background, or sometimes a plugin file can just get corrupted like any other file.

So next step in troubleshooting would be throwing all plugins to the Unused folder and see if PT itself can launch properly.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:08 PM

I'm pretty sure I've figure out this problem.

1. The reference file in Ozone: It cant be contained in an external drive when you close a session otherwise you'll crash. You must remove the reference file from Ozone, save then close.

2. The drive you bounce your master to. Must not be an external drive. Has to be the drive your session is in or your system drive.

(external = usb)

These 2 things I believe are what's been causing the crashes

So this begs the question, what other multiple drive issues does PTs have? I'm just glad I've got Ableton. I couldn't imagine going through all this drama while making music.
WD Black SATA 7200
ASUS SABERTOOTH X79
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Mbox3 Pro Firewire 400
ProTools 10.3.8
ProTools 11.3.1

https://soundcloud.com/matthewcrowe
Old 02-27-2020, 09:10 PM

Single badly behaving plugin may crash PT, everyone should know that by now. If the plugin cannot be updated (fixed) then just elimnate the bogey from your system.

External drive has zero effect on your crashes. You can bounce to a network drive if you want to. It is totally irrelevant.