Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2006, 04:58 PM

Default The new PT7 vertical zoom independence

Does anybody hate the new PT7 vertical zoom independence as much as me? I've been spending days tuning & editing vocals, and I'm constantly comparing a tuned track with the original for timing placement. When I need to zoom in, I use the zoomer tool to click-drag a hash mark box on a track's waveform that isn't the full height of the track. Now with PT7 all the tracks zoom horizontally, but only the track I zoomed, zooms vertically. So I'm left looking at a nice full waveform on one track and almost nothing on the track I'm comparing to. Then I have to use the key commands to zoom all the way in vertically and then back out again in order to reset the two tracks to the same zoom level (a big waste of time, 500 times a day). I'm trying to understand under what circumstance this new behavior could be better that what it was. I know there have been lots of time when bouncing tracks (as in tuning) that I've been alerted to a problem because the destination waveform wasn't the same size as the original. Now I'm always just going to think the zoom is screwed up.

STeve
Old 02-07-2006, 07:24 PM

Default Re: The new PT7 vertical zoom independence

I with you. I just clear the zoom setting when I notice the waveforms are different heights.
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 02-08-2006, 01:23 AM

There's another PT7 graphics change that bothers me. I'm always pasting short little trigger samples to open gates, or use as clicks. No matter how short, in the PT6 edit window there was always at least a line every place I pasted the trigger no matter how far I am zoomed out. Not in PT7 they just disappear and it looks like you have an empty track. You have to zoom in quite close to see all of them. If I were to paste a click on every quarter note for five minutes and zoom out to see the whole five, in PT6 you would see a big block of pasted notes (me likey), in PT7 your track looks empty or you see only a few (no likey).

STeve
Old 02-08-2006, 05:30 AM

Oh, that is bad! We often have very short sounds on tracks, sound effects, and I have the same opinion as you that seeing them at all zoom levels is better than having them disappear. It is well worth the tradeoff of visual clutter. I want a region to display in some way no matter how short it may be.

Another type of very short region we see is, occasionally, we see one sample regions on omf'd imports. We want to know they are there and eliminate them.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:29 AM

Yep. The not being able to see small regions have caused me problems a couple of times not. I couldn't put me finger on what had changed. Very bad move on digis part. This should be put back right away.
Peace,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 02-08-2006, 09:58 AM

While I'm on the subject of complaining about PT7 graphics changes. This one is not that big of a problem, but...

I like making rows of text characters in the comment field on the mixer side, in order to see important channels quickly. My vocal aux gets three rows of asterisks and it is easy to spot when I'm scrolling the screen. It used to be that typing a row of characters, equaled a row after hitting enter. Now it is all screwed up. The text when you're typing is now smaller and a row doesn't equal a row anymore. I know, I'm a crybaby.

STeve
Old 03-06-2006, 11:26 AM

I thought this zoom independence thing was a bug. I even called Digi Tech Support, and after getting the tech guy to reproduce it, he said they would check into it - he didn't seem to know about it till I told him, so I'm not sure if it's a new "feature".

I also submitted a bug report on it. It's cerainly not useful in any way if it is in fact a "feature"

Holley
Old 03-06-2006, 06:04 PM

I agree whole heartedly to all the comments above. I thought I was going mad putting a 2 pop in yesterday.. Zoom out, where is it? Zoom in - oh ok... Zoom out - damn, did I do a 2 pip... Hmmm

And yeah - I was looking at one track in relation to another and thought "bugger, all clipped"... Nope, just zoomed in more than the other... SILLY!

How do you guys "reset the zoom" amount?
Old 03-07-2006, 06:30 AM

Just keep zooming "down" until all the tracks get to the lowest zoom level possible, then they will all be at the same reference and you can zoom back up and they will be visually correct in relation to each other.

Holley
Old 03-07-2006, 08:01 AM

I hate it! Can't work as fast as I used to, please Digi undo this 'feature' or give us an option to turn it off.