How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 01-29-2020, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Is UAD worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It’s HDX... there are no “low ADC”values... unless you mean 16k samples is low?

The latency depends on your use...Additional latency above any in the UAD plugin should be 2X the buffer size. So 1k samples? x2 Hopefully you are careful with plugin ordering and do not interweave UAD and HDX/DSP plugins

You are running large sessions right? With all tracks live/no freeze/commit? Do you understand how many HDX cards you will need?
yes, 16k is low. Most other daws are around 10x that.

I'll be needing around 2 HDX cards for my needs, 3 is the ultimate goal when money permits.

Currently UA plugins have 1024 samples latency in PT vanilla + whatever the UA individual plugin latency is. Why answer if you aren't going to actually address the simple thing I asked? Of course I want to interweave AAX DSP and UAD plugins in the same insert path, which is why i asked someone who uses both.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
yes, 16k is low. Most other daws are around 10x that.

I'll be needing around 2 HDX cards for my needs, 3 is the ultimate goal when money permits.

Currently UA plugins have 1024 samples latency in PT vanilla + whatever the UA individual plugin latency is. Why answer if you aren't going to actually address the simple thing I asked? Of course I want to interweave AAX DSP and UAD plugins in the same insert path, which is why i asked someone who uses both.
Because the simple thing you asked does not really make sense. It matters what *you* do.... asking other people some number they see won't help you. The latency is driven by the IO buffer. And you really want to interleave plugins multiple times you can make the latency as bad as you want.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:05 AM

Of course, recent developments help increase the worth of any UAD interface that possess a Thunderbolt connector.

https://www.uaudio.com/luna/

Whether a free "recording system" makes the high entry price of UAD hardware and plugins 'worth it' is still up to the purchaser.

Luna looks great and quite viable from what I have seen. This will put even more pressure on the likes of Pro Tools if it takes off. Interesting times in the DAW and hardware interface market for sure.

Maybe Behringer will reverse engineer a stable and fully featured Pro Tools at an affordable price and take the crown?!

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 01-31-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Maybe Behringer will reverse engineer a stable and fully featured Pro Tools at an affordable price and take the crown?!

Ha ha! I like it.
Judging by what they're doing at the moment with classic synths it could be amazing!
Old 01-31-2020, 06:11 AM

Back on topic, I used to have the TDM UA 1176 and it was by far the best emulation and I had a real 1176 to compare it with at the time.
Now I do everything ITB and moving from studio to studio I've never been able to justify UA plugins while they tie you to hardware.
I would use them again in an instant, if they would ditch the cards and let them run on the cpu.
In my dreams sadly....
Old 01-31-2020, 06:46 AM

Yeah it's like the old Digidesign. Sell hardware by making the software dependent on it. We were all happy for long enough but after a good while it started looking expensive, limiting and dated.

UAD has certainly rolled some good dice here. It will be interesting to see how it is received in the long run and the take up of the DAW. It will certainly see some people join the platform and buy the products. All they really need is an interface with a credit card slot built in!

I've no doubt a good bit of the marketing is plain hyperbole. Most of the stuff they claim is revolutionary we can already do in real time. All the "low latency" trumpet blowing makes little sense to me. I've been able to record everything at a low enough latency through the plugins I need for years. Roundtrip over the majority of native plugins is plenty moderate. Those that are taking too many CPU cycles often have a LL version from many manufacturers if you really need to use them to record through.

Anyhow, I'm impressed with a lot I have seen. The time-stretch and pitch sounded much better than the ageing Elastic Audio. These two things are core requirements for much modern production. Avid need to pull their socks up!

The piano and moog sound plenty nice but it's certainly not a revolution. Let's see what they come up with in the future. Hopefully they will go left field with some of the instruments (as they have with the outboard) rather than just bread and butter stuff.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 02-25-2020, 03:31 PM

I'd love to try out UAD stuff but it is just too expensive.

I'm all in on Waves and you can do a great deal with Soundgrid if you're looking to track through great plugins. Waves SSL E just always provides glue and tightness - it's a favorite for sure. Also, Renaissance Vox is a great plugin I reach for when tracking and sometimes mixing. And so many more.

I'm also a fan of Plugin Alliance and IK Multimedia plugins.

There are other great companies Softube, McDSP, Arturia, Soundtoys, Slate to name a few. All have great stuff.

Ultimately, it's what speaks to you.
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 02-26-2020, 04:08 AM

Now is the time to look to Acustica !

Long time UAD user here. Several UA(D) hardware.
Still using some of their plugins, but less after I 'discovered' Acustica.

IMHO their stuff simply sound better.

Just sayin' ...
Old 02-26-2020, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
Now is the time to look to Acustica !

Long time UAD user here. Several UA(D) hardware.
Still using some of their plugins, but less after I 'discovered' Acustica.

IMHO their stuff simply sound better.

Just sayin' ...
But are they worth the cpu hit? AA plugins aren't exactly known as being cpu thrifty

QAPLA!
Old 02-27-2020, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
But are they worth the cpu hit? AA plugins aren't exactly known as being cpu thrifty
What I've learned since I joined Acustica last summer, is that they are constantly improving their plugins to make them less CPU hungry.
And their new Core15 is promising.

But yea, you're right, the CPU hit IS a big challenge for some.
Me, I am struggling a bit with my 2013 MacPro, but not a big deal actually.
But I am still using UAD/Unison a lot for tracking.

Been looking into Reaper also - seems to work brilliant with AA plugins.
(But It will take some time before I am willing to give up on ProTools).

So these days I am not buying any new Plugins from UAD.
Acustica plugins do the job better, in most ways ...