How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2016, 08:48 PM

Default New Midi controller causes HUI disconnect

Hello all,

I've got an unusual midi device situation occurring, maybe someone has had a similar situation and could shed some light on this one.

I've got a custom 32 channel mixing desk that I have been running with PT11. 3.1 for years, and all works great, no problems. I am running W7 64 bit too.

I've recently picked up a Livid Code and connected it to my computer via USB. This instrument is primarily going to be used for its encoders, to control pans and other knob functions is all sorts of plugins. So, I decide to deselect the Code in the 'Midi Devices' menu so it doesn't show up as an instrument in PT... And I can use it's midi ports with another application for use as mentioned above.

After deselecting in the menu, I loose HUI sync with my mixer, the nasty HUI error message appears and will not return to normal until I reconnect the Code in the 'Midi Devices' menu, quit and restart Pro-Tools. After this, the sync is re-established and my mixers function as normal again.

This also happened one time before, when loading Fractal Audio Axe-Fx midi drivers to run the Axe Edit software... I received HUI errors in PT indefinitely and had to roll back my OS to a previous state.

Has anyone out there experienced sync issues with existing midi devices upon adding another of any sort? Thanks in advance for any help or input.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:28 AM

Default Re: New Midi controller causes HUI disconnect

It would help if you told us more about this custom mixer you're using. Is it just an analog desk or does it also control PT?

QAPLA!
Old 12-20-2016, 05:35 AM

It wouldn't really help actually... It's basically a Mackie HUI Controller at heart. I've just built it from scratch. Nothing much to tell.

What I can say however is that there is a handshake/ping between PT and any controller that uses the HUI protocol. I can read when these messages send and receive, which they continue to do properly, however pro tools still looses sync. Very strange.

Last edited by ibanman555; 12-20-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanman555 View Post
It wouldn't really help actually... It's basically a Mackie HUI Controller at heart. I've just built it from scratch. Nothing much to tell.

What I can say however is that there is a handshake/ping between PT and any controller that uses the HUI protocol. I can read when these messages send and receive, which they continue to do properly, however pro tools still looses sync. Very strange.
So you're trying to use a homebrew controller with homebrew s/w to work with PT - you shouldn't be surprised you're having issues. I have nothing against homebrew hardware - done enough with electronics here that I understand the issues involved (retired EE). Very few people have understanding in both the hardware & software worlds so unless you have that nailed - stuff will happen. Been there/done that - ain't easy.

QAPLA!
Old 12-20-2016, 12:45 PM

Any thoughts on Midi ports that come up in Pro Tools as 'Emulated'? That's what's happening here... As there are zero problems with my mixer. As I mentioned the brains are Mackie HUI's... Just gutted and rebuilt to my liking (so not really homebrew)

Why would deselecting a midi device cause such errors to occur?
Old 12-20-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanman555 View Post
Any thoughts on Midi ports that come up in Pro Tools as 'Emulated'? That's what's happening here... As there are zero problems with my mixer. As I mentioned the brains are Mackie HUI's... Just gutted and rebuilt to my liking (so not really homebrew)

Why would deselecting a midi device cause such errors to occur?
Still what you're doing fits the definition of homebrew. As to answering your question in your specific issue really needs to see if there's anything going on with your 'controller' and PT and MIDI. And that entails more intimate knowledge of exactly what your system has going for it. Specific h/w and s/w details as there might well be something there causing problem. As they say the devil's in the details.

QAPLA!
Old 12-20-2016, 05:21 PM

Ok, so the Livid Code is primarily designed to be an instrument, and shows up as such in PT11. It is a class compliant midi device and doesn't require the installation of a driver to work. It is my understanding that any Midi device that shows up as 'Emulated' supports older Midi services and drivers. These devices show up as emulated in v11 and higher, but not in v10 and below. It's possible too that this may be caused because of 64-bit computing.

From Avid;
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/en331791

There are also lots of discussions regarding emulated midi devices in this forum, that resolve to pretty much nothing. I have many devices listed, both emulated and non-emulated, and if I deselect any device listed as emulated causes the HUI error. Any devices that aren't listed as emulated, and are deselect ed from 'midi devices', do not cause this issue.

Unfortunately, it's common knowledge that HUI is no longer supported (which is absurd with the amount of controllers out there) and very unlikely to be improved...

So as a work around, I've rebuilt a midi driver for this Livid Code and the Base 2 so they can be used multi-client. I can keep these devices activated in the Midi Devices list but still able to be connected to other software open at the same time. It's not ideal, and I wish I knew what the cause was, but I'll keep trying to figure it out.

For anyone using a HUI type controller/mixer with PT11+ and another midi instrument (specifically one that appears as emulated), I am curious to see if you also deselect your instrument, does it cause a similar issue after restarting Pro Tools.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:18 PM

"Unfortunately, it's common knowledge that HUI is no longer supported (which is absurd with the amount of controllers out there) and very unlikely to be improved..."
Since when is HUI no longer supported? It is still an available protocol and still works with the vast majority of HUI control surfaces. I agree that its not likely to be improved on by Avid, but each hardware company is free to work on that, and some do a pretty decent job with it(Mackie and Presonus do anyway). FWIW, my lowly little faderport still works fine in 12.6(with a 3-year-old driver)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-20-2016, 06:27 PM

It states here HUI is no longer supported /tested;

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nd-Peripherals

No problem for anyone NOT using Pro Tools.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:48 PM

But no problem for some of us still using Pro Tools. I'm also using a Faderport, right alongside an 003 console, and the i-pad control app. The Faderport gets more use than any of them.