How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2017, 03:10 AM

Default AVID, Please provide a complimentary extension to our AUP's [solved]

Reasonable request.

Firstly, thanks for all the hard work that goes in to providing such an enjoyable & inspiring program.

That said, most of us have continually renewed our plans just so we can sleep at night knowing our version of PT doesn't have any bugs under the hood that affect our individual workflows.
Even though there are features I myself haven't used yet, I'd like to know that certain features (& shortcuts) can be employed with confidence come time.
I'm already reading about 12.8.2 and I realize my system may not be affected by what other systems are experiencing.
Being hesitant to update every other release is the opposite of what it's supposed to be. Updates are supposed to be rock ready & exciting.
I realize no software is infallible.

Does AVID require periodic UA's?
'Cos the only thing that can explain such a powerful program becoming a code of errors is that it's being coded while smokin' weed. lol
Whenever I'd ever try to work on that stuff, the results would only be gettin' my guitar cable tangled up & leavin' every light on in the house.
I can only imagine coding a bunch of algo-rock-box-rhythms.

Just trying to be humorous amidst reading about possible broken VCA features & GUI lags.

I appreciate the work that goes in and that is successful. I still enjoy Pro Tools a lot.
(but I think you'z are smokin' weed and trying to be successful).
Pretend no further. lol

Just joking & having a little fun while finding expression.
But it would be cool if they extended the accounts, say, a complimentary 6 months for those who are paying just to have a stable most current version.

Last edited by take77; 10-19-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:57 AM

Default Re: AVID, Please provide a complimentary extension to our AUP's

What is a 'UA'?

Who's to say what will work right with any sort of confidence given the variability in end user's systems? When you have that many variables it's difficult to come up with s/w that will work as it should all the time.

Given that I'd say go ahead and give the new revision a try.

BUT:

Have a good working backup of your system before doing that. You do that on a regular basis right? Have a good working clone? In a Mac that means NOT depending on Time Machine but using a third party program. For me it's Carbon Copy Cloner. Saved my bacon more than once - well worth the money you pay for it.

QAPLA!
Old 10-19-2017, 04:03 AM

OK after reading other posts, I'm feeling more optimistic and can admit I've jumped the gun.
After all, it's a new release!

I'll still take the 6 month extension though.

Good points & well stated musicman691. Since 12.8.1 is working fine I can create an image of my current system.

"UA" is "urine analysis" in this context. Sounds kinda inappropriate now that you ask

I'll wrap it & cap it.

My post, that is. Not the UA. Sheez...

Last edited by take77; 10-19-2017 at 04:25 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:05 AM

I smell weed coming from ... above

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-19-2017, 07:11 AM

I've been saying it forever, and I will keep saying it. Don't upgrade when new things come out just for the sake of upgrading because you can.

My current system is OS 10.12.2 and PT12.7.1, and it took me a good 6-8 weeks of working with different versions of PT12 to where I now have one that is rock solid and doesn't crash hardly at all. I, for one, will not be changing a thing probably until it's time to buy PT15 or something.

If you rely on your machine to make a living and have to deal with deadlines, you owe it to yourself to have the peace-of-mind that when you wake up tomorrow, it will turn on and work the way it did the day before.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:18 AM

Or an AES Special 2 Yr upgrade for 1yr renewals .
Old 10-19-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take77 View Post
But it would be cool if they extended the accounts, say, a complimentary 6 months for those who are paying just to have a stable most current version.
+1. That would be the fair thing to do, considering that many people will go through several experimental releases before they find one that works well for them.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:53 PM

I don’t buy into the long in the tooth argument that the variables of user configurations is a valid excuse. Operators and facilities build systems specifically for PT, and don’t install PT as an afterthought to pre existing systems. If there WAS a configuration that worked, we’d ALL build that setup.

Sadly, it might be important to understand that the primary incentives to purchase upgrades from software companies are obselescence, new features, and the promise of fixes. As most software is rock solid, they rely on the first 2. Digidesign, and now Avid, have also relied heavily on the promise of fixes. With a track record as poor as Avid in this regard, there is too high a probability that IF they were to release a solid build, users would remain on that build for 2 and 3 years or more (as is evidence in the past). You would think that a yearly license would change that, but the current plan is only for updates, not current usage, and let’s face it, old habits of large companies die hard.

In short, no way we’ll ever see a good faith extension of a perpetual license.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I smell weed coming from ... above
LOL

I do need to refrain from posting such whimsical gibberish after bedtime!
Old 10-19-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTM View Post
I don’t buy into the long in the tooth argument that the variables of user configurations is a valid excuse. Operators and facilities build systems specifically for PT, and don’t install PT as an afterthought to pre existing systems. If there WAS a configuration that worked, we’d ALL build that setup.

Sadly, it might be important to understand that the primary incentives to purchase upgrades from software companies are obselescence, new features, and the promise of fixes. As most software is rock solid, they rely on the first 2. Digidesign, and now Avid, have also relied heavily on the promise of fixes. With a track record as poor as Avid in this regard, there is too high a probability that IF they were to release a solid build, users would remain on that build for 2 and 3 years or more (as is evidence in the past). You would think that a yearly license would change that, but the current plan is only for updates, not current usage, and let’s face it, old habits of large companies die hard.

In short, no way we’ll ever see a good faith extension of a perpetual license.
That all makes sense.
Just want to say to everyone that it was clearly past my bedtime when I posted. Not really a useful post on my part. Especially since most people are concerned with more important things like tryin' out the latest release!

It just took a couple renewals (about 18 months wait for a current version that I'm content with). And in accord with Inglesworth, I'm going to stay with 12.8.1 for a while like I did with other previous releases until the VCA thing is fixed.

Have a great day everyone. Thanks for offering up some sensibility.
And thanks to those at AVID for all the work put in.

Musical Cheers!

Last edited by take77; 10-20-2017 at 01:54 PM.