Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 03-29-2021, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Buffers Size, Sample Rate & Sample Latency??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread yet, but how are you assuring all the tracks stay together in time? I would expect that as everyone contributes in this workflow, they all need provide audio files that start at time 0, or bar 1 beat 1. If everyone provides files that start at the same place, then everyone else can spot those files to the same starting point in their session and all will be good. In Pro Tools, there is the consolidation command that will let you consolidate everything on a track from your starting point to the end in one file.
As I previously mentioned.. We are all doing a 4 Count from beginning or (0)..

I’m not explaining myself very well... All of us are at same BPM, same Buffer, same 4 Count from beginning of the song. The Drummers Click Track doesn’t sync with mine. Frustrated the Drummer proceeds to Chart the song & records a perfect Drum Track to his Click.. Then he loads it to the Folder.. When I upload it to my Project it isn’t in sync with my Click. There is latency between my Tracks & his Tracks. Because for some reason, even though all of our Settings are equal, our Clicks aren’t in perfect sync..

My previous Post posed a possible Work Around.. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thanks
Old 03-29-2021, 11:21 PM

Default Buffers Size, Sample Rate & Sample Latency??

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
As I previously mentioned.. We are all doing a 4 Count from beginning or (0)..

I’m not explaining myself very well... All of us are at same BPM, same Buffer, same 4 Count from beginning of the song. The Drummers Click Track doesn’t sync with mine. Frustrated the Drummer proceeds to Chart the song & records a perfect Drum Track to his Click.. Then he loads it to the Folder.. When I upload it to my Project it isn’t in sync with my Click. There is latency between my Tracks & his Tracks. Because for some reason, even though all of our Settings are equal, our Clicks aren’t in perfect sync..

My previous Post posed a possible Work Around.. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Here's what I haven't understood this whole thread. If the drummer's tracks aren't faster or slower, why don't you just slide them into place? What's with all this getting distracted with stuff that won't have an effect on the end result? If you're not good at sliding it into place have the drummer provide a bit of his click so you can slide all the drums into place against your click.

And yes, starting everyone from the same click printed as an audio file should do the trick. No one would need to fiddle with that stuff in their own DAW. Just play to the click track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-29-2021, 11:35 PM

Default Buffers Size, Sample Rate & Sample Latency??

Why does your drummer continue to use his own click if you’ve provided him with a printed click? The latter is what he should be using.

Is he the only one experiencing the issue and is he the only one insisting on using his own click? If so, you’ve found your problem.

If you’re all using the same click track printed as an audio file that is the length of the session (no copy and paste or looping) then there is zero reason for everyone to not be in sync... sloppy timing aside.

Either your drummer’s name is Lars or you possibly (as mentioned above) have a sample rate mismatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sardi; 03-30-2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:59 AM

Sliding his Click doesn’t work.. It starts out the same but by 1:30 or so it seems to go off & from that point on our 2 Clicks are out of sync..

I’m going to suggest we all use the Audio Click Track the initiator of the first Tracks provides. Not their own... That seems like the simplest work around.

Thanks all...
Old 03-30-2021, 07:00 AM

That is samole rate mismatch then. Check there are no pull-up or pull-down anywhere

Old 03-30-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
That is samole rate mismatch then. Check there are no pull-up or pull-down anywhere

I’ll try to read up on that..

What is a sample rate mismatch? How do you check there are no pull-up or pull-down anywhere?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2021, 09:31 AM

Have you ever checked your session setup?

Old 03-30-2021, 02:43 PM

In what respect?

Keep in mind we’re 5 Guys all using different Gear.....
Old 03-30-2021, 02:44 PM

Pull-up or Pull-down, if not plain and simple sample rate mismatch
Old 03-30-2021, 04:35 PM

With the additional info mentioned, I don’t think it’s a sample rate mismatch. If it was, it would be going out of sync straight away, not after a minute and a half.

I wonder if different DAWs calculate their BPM in different ways? Loaded question, but I’m kind of curious now.

Either way, tell Lars to stop using his own click. Makes zero sense for him to do that if you have a printed click audio track. I honestly don’t know what he was thinking doing that.