Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 09-25-2010, 05:21 PM

Unhappy axiom pro hypercontrol and pro tools - why no workie?

So I decided to go and get the axiom pro 49.

I'm using PT LE 8.0.4 on a mac.

I wanting to control native instruments (massive, fm8 etc..)

I have Axiom set up properly in pro tools peripherals/midi with hypercontrol receiving and sending on 8 channels.

I focus on the instrument (massive) which DOES show up in axiom pro display but despite any and all knob twiddling from either the perspective of massive or the axiom round controller knobs (no, not the sliders) neither protools nor the axiom seem to be all that aware of each others presence.

Any of you who have gotten this to work, please reveal the details so that I may use axiom and native instruments in perfect harmony.

Also, when putting massive into learn mode, and focussing on the control i.e filter one cutoff and then right clicking to commence the "learn" function. twiddling a knob on the axiom pro has no effect on the cutoff parameter. In protools I even added filer/cutoff 1 as automation.

please help me fellow axiom pro / pro tools / VI users.

thanks for reading and helping.

Last edited by tunespin; 09-25-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: adding remark
Old 09-25-2010, 06:19 PM

Default Re: axiom pro hypercontrol and pro tools - why no workie?

Is Massive a supported RTAS format? And does the Parameter Menu whilst in Plug-In Learn Mode list any available plug-in parameters?
Old 09-25-2010, 09:23 PM

Hi Aaron,

thanks for your response.

I am not certain of the support relationship between the axiom pro, pro tools and native instruments VIs.

My assumption after reading about the axiom was that in hyper control mode, it would instinctively map it's controller to the most commonly used/tweakable parameters in whichever instrument you were focused on in pro tools.

Since I'm unsure of whether axiom and N.I are set up to work together (but am looking into it) would you be able to tell me whether you have had success controlling other virtual instruments parameters using the axiom E1 - E8 controller knobs?

I believe that whilst in plug in learn mode I did see the parameter I was attempting to make axiom aware of. I will check that now as well.

cheers,

Allan
Old 09-26-2010, 07:51 AM

I've had trouble getting the Axiom Pro to work with NI products. What I've found, is that the encoders seem to want to map to the macros. Massive has a set of eight macros, so if you map the parameters inside massive to those they can be controlled by the encoders. Not exactly automatic...
Old 09-26-2010, 05:22 PM

thank you both.

since the axiom pro does see the macro section of massive i will attempt to convince it to play nice.

n8tron, if you have any further advice on how the mapping macros situation is best tackled i'd be happy to listen.

cheers,

al
Old 09-26-2010, 07:27 PM

Smile Re: axiom pro hypercontrol and pro tools - why no workie?

UPDATE:

i was having no luck at all, and then this sequence of events has allowed axiom pro to control virtual instruments (even N.I).

i downloaded the actual pro tools personality from the m-audio site found here:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...e3fd13ce172502

dragged into here

Macintosh HD>Applications>Digidesign>Pro Tools>Controllers

when asked "replace/overwirte" said yes.

then I went to AMS setup, made a new configuration which in my case I called "please work"

then i fired up pro tools. a new session. not a previous template of mine or pro tools although I will now try that since it is working in a new session with newly created V.Is.

voila - the axiom pro's hypercontrol was mapped to N.I "massive" with no alternate methods of mapping etc...
Old 09-26-2010, 07:30 PM

M-Audio Axiom Pro Personalities are installed with Pro Tools 8 and higher by default.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunespin View Post

voila - the axiom pro's hypercontrol was mapped to N.I "massive" with no alternate methods of mapping etc...

what parameters are they automatically mapped to? something other than the massive macros?
Old 09-28-2010, 12:17 PM

using the page selection (< and >) beneath the LED, the axiom pro was able to bank through over 130 pages of potential controls. The 1st page is macros 1 - 8 and then the following pages support the rest of massive's controller potential.

My biggest hurdle will be to try to figure out how to save my most used parameters from each VI into the axiom pro preset areas. seems very convoluted.

I preferred the "learn" method of twiddling a knob which then takes on the controller you are focused on. more tech = less creative with my workflow.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:23 PM

Use 'Save Plug-In Map' in the RTAS Plug-In. Save it as a Default.