Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2002, 03:24 PM

Default Retrospect backup problems

I have just upgraded to a 933G4 from a 350g3. I ported over my backup system which includes retrospect 4.3 and a dds3 tape drive on an adaptec scsi 3940uw card. Every time I try to backup anything on my ata drive I get an execution error -36 (bad media?). When I backup my scsi drive I have no problems. I know the ata drive is ok and have checked it out with disk first aid and norton, as well as re-initializing it to no avail. Does any one knopw of this problem?
Old 03-27-2002, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Retrospect backup problems

Sorry I don't have any answers for you - only more questions.

Did you need to do anything special to get your 3940 to work in the G4? I am trying to upgrade from a Beige g3 to a G4/867 and when I install the Adaptec card, the machine will not boot.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 03-28-2002, 08:59 PM

Do you have the advanced driver Kit from Dantz? AIT needs the Advanced driver kit to work and the Bad media message somtimes pops up if this is the case
Old 03-29-2002, 12:15 AM

Yeah, I have the advanced driver kit 2.0 and the driver update 2.5

As far as getting the 3940uw to work in the G4 I had to flash the card to recognize the G4.
Here is what I did:

1. install the card but remove any other cards.
2. Boot up holding down command-option-O-F
A white screen will open with "Open Firmware" and ending with a 0> prompt.
3. When the open firmware promp appears type the following 3 line exactly as shown (press return key after each line). Note that the spaces between quotes are important and the instructions are case sensitive. (the & = a space. Wherever you see a & type in a space in its place.) After pressing return after each line the Mac should display an "OK" response with another"0>" prompt.

dev&/pci@20000000/pci-bridge/pci-bridge/ADTP,3940UW
"&"&"&driver,AAPL,MacOS,PowerPC"&property
mac-boot

4.the machine should boot. When done run the 3940UW flash utility (from adaptec website) and update to latest firmware. The program will update and then ask you to restart.

You should then open the power domain control 4.0 (or above) Set the board to "default" then rstart. You should be good to go.