Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 04-06-2014, 09:47 AM

Default Venue Dshow/Waves plug-in failure

I need some input on a live plug-in failure on a dshow console. I'm not blaming any specific technology or brand, just looking for some crowd sourced solutions. Here's the scenario:

Running Venue 3.0 on a D-Show FOH with Waves Mercury. 3 DSP cards installed. In the middle of the set, band on stage, 3K people in attendance, I switch to the plugin window and view the drum buss compressor (Waves H-comp). The moment I view the h-comp, the plugin explodes with noise/distortion. I have to switch to config mode and disable the plugin to end the chaos. Needless to say, this is a worst case scenario.

Anyone have a similar experience, diagnosis, or solution?
Old 04-06-2014, 10:09 AM
Avid

Default Re: Venue Dshow/Waves plug-in failure

Switching to the plug-in window in VENUE doesn't do anything that can alter signal flow - even theoretically. So I'd exclude VENUE SW from the suspect list. I'd vote for plug-in issue - showing window can initiate a DSP communication activity resulting in failure.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:11 PM

Plug ins can be tricky, you need to keep track of the ones you have on the system and if they are the latest versions. I have seen people installing corrupted versions on desks as they tour around the world and complain about the reliability when they actually have a bad installer.

Waves tech support is quite fast to respond, but all the issues I have been having have always been answered with "we cannot reproduce this in-house".

Luckily I have had no noise issues like that. I'm keeping CLA-3A on my drum bus, never used H-comp, 3A has been nice to me.

You could send the log files from the desk to venue support, maybe they will see if there is something that needs to be sorted out on your system or maybe they don't but it's worth a try.

Contact numbers: http://www.avid.com/US/support/support-contact

Exporting log files: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...a-VENUE-system

Tech support encourages people to regularly overwrite the system software and plugins. Recently I started having some weird issues on my Profile and tech support noticed I had "over thousand cycles" on my system, witch meant they strongly suggested I should overwrite the system and plugins. It was a pain messing with the desk to get it all done, but strangely enough my problems went away. In the end, it's still a dmn windows in there.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I submitted the log files to Avid and Waves and did a full restore of the console. Avid support advised to install the Waves V9 installer FIRST before installing other plugins.

So far so good. I'll report back with any future developments.